Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The revised giulietta is coming about six months after the compact cuv in late 2013. It will be slightly wider and longer than the present one. Since it will be made at the Mirafiori works in Italy, the exhaust system is probably mild steel and should be replaced with 401 stainless using a mandrel bender to fabricate it with Magnaflow components at a custom shop. The stock system fails in as little as eighteen months. Replacement has been quoted at about $300 for the stainless equivalent. I have a design which should work using 2.25 inch pipe to allow the engine to run cooler.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Wow! Talk about working ahead! :)) A stainless exhaust replacement worked out for a car we won't see for two years - if ever.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Well OK then. That settles it. I am two years away from driving a new Alfa, and two years more after that away from buying a new exhaust system.

I'll start buying 4 year calendars so I can keep it all on schedule. It will be a nice change from all the 24 month calendars I have been buying to track Alfas inevitable return in just 2 years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
More than one source has confirmed the arrival scenario. It is to be launched worldwide in fall 2013. Original schedule was spring 2014 according to the original plan but has been moved up to accomodate launch sequence. The stainless exhaust arrangemnt wasn't that difficult based on the stock giulietta system location using hangers in the stock location. It would emit a ferrari/maserati type tone. I have heard a sound clip with a chrysler 2.4 liter engine, which is an option on the alfa cuv, from Magnaflow. Muteing the tone would be done by inserting a Magnapack into the headpipe behind the converter.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Alfamaven,

You'll need to excuse us in the U.S. for our skepticism upon hearing ANY projected Alfa U.S. delivery schedule, no matter how well corroborated. We've been maintaining those two-years-until-Alfa's-return calendars for far too long. I'll believe Alfa has returned when I see the new Giulietta, or the new SUV, or the 4C, or whatever, for sale at my friendly local Fiat Studio.

Maybe then I can start thinking about replacing the exhaust...

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Revised Giulietta Coming to U.S. in Late 2013?

Alfamaven,

You'll need to excuse us in the U.S. for our skepticism upon hearing ANY projected Alfa U.S. delivery schedule, no matter how well corroborated. We've been maintaining those two-years-until-Alfa's-return calendars for far too long. I'll believe Alfa has returned when I see the new Giulietta, or the new SUV, or the 4C, or whatever, for sale at my friendly local Fiat Studio.

Maybe then I can start thinking about replacing the exhaust...
It's been a long time since I've had to fight the CA Alfa smogging nightmare....but if I remember correctly, "Magnaflow" is one of the no-nos if you intend to pass, so this information about the exhaust not holding up does not make me excited about Alfa's this week return schedule, which whether corroborated or not by 100 sources will be delayed; it's the Alfa way.

BTW, Larry where are you buying 4-year calendars? I have enough trouble handling my 18-month academic planner; until Alfa gets within that range, it won't make my planner.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Why is it that new Alfa's for the U.S. are always "two years away"?

Wasn't there a movie about new Alfa's in the U.S. called "Tomorrow never comes"?

Just sayin'

I feel like Charlie Brown with the football.... despite knowing all this, I still fall for it every time. I've already begun campaigning with Mrs. Lokki to replace one of the cars with an Alfa in 2013.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,073 Posts
Tell you the truth, I've given up on ever buying a new Alfa, as for one thing, it will most likely have too much junk on it, such as the big screen tv in the dash most middle to higher end cars seem to come with these days, and the one knob does all controller that I will have absolutely no use for. What happened to simple controls anyway? Did we actually ask for this junk? We are supposed to be driving Alfas, not fiddling with the other stuff. I just read that now it can take many more steps just to find a radio station than in the past for instance. Don't need that stuff that takes your eyes off the road.

I think I'll stick to my "simple" Alfas, so to speak. Little problem, though. We might, just might, buy an Fiat 500 Abarth sometime in the future. MY wife says, ok, which Alfa you going to get rid of? Three Alfas and a Fiat are too many cars. Huh, I say, I don't understand. What's having three Alfas have to do with anything? She of course just shakes her head.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I don't have a wife, but IF I did, I'm certain she would be asking the same question(s).....

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
...BTW, Larry where are you buying 4-year calendars? ...
I looked everywhere but finally had to print them myself. I don't know how an Alfisti hungry for the return of his favorite marque can live without at least a 2 year calendar.

As an aside, I used to think CA would be the "end all" place to live as a car guy. Now I don't understand why a car guy would live in CA. But we've had that conversation before, I think.

Why is it that new Alfa's for the U.S. are always "two years away"?...

It's tradition. We've being doing this a long time. There are many, many threads on this but here is a post from 2005 that may be instructive:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/107032-post22.html

I feel like Charlie Brown with the football...
Every day, Lokki, every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts