Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Push hard and live
10,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The POs of my 99 916 GTV were @#$%[email protected]!!!!!. With only 44,000 miles, it has several dead-wiper scratches across the windshield. I bought Eastwood's glass polishing kit several years ago in an effort to restore the door windows on a 1960 2000, but quickly decided that having new glass made was easier and cheaper than the work to get the old glass half as good.

Finding a new (or good used) 916 windshield in the US might be difficult. So, I'm game to have a go at it.

Anyone used their kit, and can report the do's, don'ts, avoid-at-all-costs, or other encouraging words?

Me dropping engine after the one it in died.

1611196208553.jpeg

Reactions: matt164

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,431 Posts
I've used similar cerium oxide polishing kits. They work, but they take a long time and a lot of effort. Glass is very hard.

Best to do it as a two person job. One person runs the polisher, the other uses a spray bottle of water to keep the slurry moist. Switch off when your arms get tired (they will get tired).

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you polish out the scratches the distortion will drive you nuts. An old glass man told me,"look through the glass not at the scratches.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
I've used similar cerium oxide polishing kits. They work, but they take a long time and a lot of effort. Glass is very hard.
That was my experience as well, and I was working on a 101 Giulia windshield, which I get the sense is softer than modern glass. I don't know what else to advise you, but I simply didn't have much luck with the Eastwood glass polishing kit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wait! Had a very bad film/ wiper wear on my 86 Spider. Thought I'd have to replace it. Did some research on YouTube and bam. Get some 0000 steel wool from Lowes/ Home depot. Make sure it's 0000. It's very fine and will not scratch. Worked it over my windshield by hand and in 15-20 minutes had a much improved windshield. No film , glare or wiper marks. Make sure it's 4 ought steel wool. Do it dry, clean the windshield prior.

·
Push hard and live
10,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... what could possibly go wrong? 🤪

One of the reason I’d like to throttle the guilty PO is how long he must have let the bad wipers run before replacing them.

The wear on the right side is much less, so I’ll try the OOOO steel wool over there and see what happens.

Any info on using an orbital polisher rather than a simple drill?

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
82 Posts
Scratched glass, an annoyance on any vehicle.
In outback Australia we are having door glass scratching problems on vehicles only a few years old.
The modern door/window weather strip have a felt type surface opposed to rubber. As windows go down the felt grabs the muck of the glass and this builds up on the weather strip. Then it scratches the glass to a point of dangerous vision. We tried polishing some door glass with Brasso and Autosol metal polish. This worked okay on some. May be of help!

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
“A new way to be mad! Glass polishing”. I posted this a while back in car restoration forum I don’t know how to post link with iPhone, so search using the quote.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts