Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guy's think?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DfBnxT1FP0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DfBnxT1FP0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Scathing. Maybe even accurate? But I'd still like to have a chance to compare a well-sorted '70s Spider against the current version. Might be fun...

Michael

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I would have been surprised if he wouldn't have been rolling around in any car :rolleyes:,... but I have to agree that his "style" is much better suited for the Teutonic examples :p...

Best regards,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Seems like his biggest gripe is with the suspension. How many of us have added sport springs, better shocks, sway bars, etc, to our spiders. Would we have been happy with a stock setup on our cars when new ?

On a brighter note a lady I work with ( my supervisor actually) had never seen an Alfa before mine. She took it for a drive and fell in love, thinks the car is dead sexy :D Loved taking turns and the wind in her hair and all the stuff that goes with a ragtop. When I showed her some pics of the new spider and an 8c her jaw dropped and wanted to know if/when Alfa was coming back to the states.

In the end we have one mans somewhat less than stellar opinion of Alfa's current spider offering. And opinions are like .........

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It just seems that all the new sport's cars are so heavy (3000 lb's +). Why can't they keep the weight down?

Ohhh yaa....... I forgot...... they need a/c, power brakes, power steering, power windows, power heated seats, power top, dual climate control, 4 air bags systems, 10 stereo speakers, 10 disc CD changer, 2 DVD monitors, GPS monitor and 4 cup holders. :D:D:D

·
Registered
429 Posts
I like it okay but it seems sort of too big and boxy, and too heavy, appearently doesn't handle all that great and is seemingly underpowered. Really aside from the styling (which frankly I don't think is all that great) and the Alfa name plate, what is there to like?

That guy was talking about of the Audi TT, and I have to say, I drove a used one a while back and loved it. For around 10-11k used I think that might be my next daily driver. Also I think for around 30K new, the Saturn Sky Redline and the Pontiac Solstice are also way better sports cars for the money than the new Alfa Spider, better looking, and would be way cheaper and easier to maintain too. It would also be pretty hard for me not to consider a new Mustang GT or a used Vette for that price too, even though they are more "Muscle car" than sports car. Sorry to say, but If they brought that thing to the US market, I think it would fail miserably.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Murray,

Your dead on about the "options" adding uneeded weight. 1st to go would be power steering, followed by the 10 disc cd changer with 8 speakers, subwoofer and amps. It kills me to see cars today with stereo systems that could blow out the windows. I understand wanting to listen to the radio or cd from time to time, but how much stereo does one need in a two seater car ??

I'm willing to bet that getting rid of the power steering and trimming the stereo would trim at least 200lbs from the car, a few more bits and bobs and your back down around 2500lbs.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I've been lucky enough to have seen one in person, and I thought it was a great looking car... very cool, and much better looking than any comparable BMW or Audi... That said, every one has a different point of view... I saw the 8C Competizione in Detroit, and absolutely loved it. I thought it looked much better than in any of pictures I had seen, and if I had the money, I would have been vying for a spot on the elusive list. On the other hand , there are other people that have posted on this BB how disappointed they are with the 8C, so I think people are just going to have to judge this for themselves... One thing is for sure - tastes change with each generation of buyers, and much to the dismay of a lot of us on this BB, cars have been getting heavier and heavier, but it could very well be that our perception may simply be "dated"...

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I might be able to afford that one when it's 25 years old. Looks like Alfa standard bill of fare. I might buy one but I would NEVER recommend one to a friend.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
not sure how much they will be when they arrive back but let's just say if they are 50K -i would prob rather have an audi tt convertible.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
We have them on the roads over here, and they look very good imo. The weight problem is shared with most other cars in its class. The amount of equipment is what the customers want, I suppose. Despite the price the Brera/Spider sells well.
When the 159/Brera/Spider arrives in US it will be the updated versions about 300-400 lbs lighter.
Still, I you what the optimal road/track holding go for, as always, the Coupe. This goes for Alfas and any other sports car
Erik

1 - 15 of 15 Posts