Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find the reverse switch, could someone guide me to it. This is a 58 Sprint Normale

Thanks

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Henry
It's inside the bell housing, above the clutch. Once the transmission is bolted to the engine, the switch is inaccessible.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, same as in my 2600, which was my fear.

I don't know what they were thinking when they put it there, if your reverse light doesn't work and the switch or the connection at the switch are to blame, you have to lear to live without a reverse light....

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Henry
It's not all that complicated. It gets power from fuse #4 ... if you disconnect the two wires going into the bell housing you can install a simple switch under the dash to make the circuit work. Just be sure to shut it off when driving forward.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Thanks, same as in my 2600, which was my fear.

I don't know what they were thinking when they put it there, if your reverse light doesn't work and the switch or the connection at the switch are to blame, you have to lear to live without a reverse light....
Unfortunately Alfa engineers haven´t learned a jack s**t during the decade or so of the 750-101 production as I´ve just discovered the rear light reverse switch is mounted inside the bellhousing even in a 5 speed gearbox of my ´62 1600 Sprint, pure stupid !!!

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
I can't find the reverse switch, could someone guide me to it. This is a 58 Sprint Normale

Thanks
My 58 Sprint Normale #6335 has NO reversing lamps.... never did. LUCAS rear tail lights. The early column shift cars had the circuit by the steering column and was actuated by the shift linkage. Grey and Green wires make up the circuit. Curious what tail lamps you have in your 58
RML

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Unfortunately Alfa engineers haven´t learned a jack s**t during the decade or so of the 750-101 production as I´ve just discovered the rear light reverse switch is mounted inside the bellhousing even in a 5 speed gearbox of my ´62 1600 Sprint, pure stupid !!!

Dennis
Nevertheless I found out today that provided there´s a current in one of those two cables (think it was the green one) leading to the reverse light switch, it doesn´t necessarily be a faulty switch causing malfunction of the reverse lights, but the rod that affects the switch in the bellhousing might not be fully touching/reaching the switch and can be adjusted a bit.
I was out of time today to explore this theory more, but will deal with it this weekend.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The original tunnel case transmission that was installed in your 1958 Sprint did not have a reverse switch, and there is no reverse tail light unless you installed a later 101 Sprint tail light. The split case transmission was equipped with a reverse switch and there are two wires attached to the switch.

·
Administrator
4,188 Posts
Henry it very much depends on what box you have in your car - tunnel case or split case ??

Ric is correct, according to the Parts Manual 750 Sprints up to chassis 07300 (+- September '58) were fitted with the tunnel case box which has no provision for a reverse light switch. Sprints & Berlina / Ti's with column shift tunnel cases used a switch on a bracket on the steering column above the generator which was actuated by the long selector shaft mechanism down the side of the steering column. That said, I've never seen a column shift car higher than 05766 and Sprint 07392 still has its original tunnel case... so the Parts Manual isn't infallible either

September '58 saw the introduction of the split case transmission which has the switch inside the bell housing... carried on all the way to 1994 with the last of the Series IV 105 Spiders.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I agree with Greig that it is possible that you car was produced in late 1958 and had a split case transmission. I do know know when the last tunnel case car was produced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts