Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 71 is running quite well these days. But I find it redlines at about 5800 to 6000 RPM. And it won't rev any higher under load. At that point it sputters as if misfiring. Is this normal response?
It is a SPICA car with a crane electronic ignition (XR700).
Thanks.
Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Crane, the RPM range of the xr700 is 6000 for 8 cylinder engine applications, and higher (presumably double) for 4 cylinder applications.
So should my SPICA engine rev freely beyond 6k?
Paul

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Misfire probably caused by weak mixture or bad plugs/leads.
Your engine deliver max power at 5400 RPM (if standard) and is redlined (on rev.counter) at 5700, but check anyway.
Erik

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I adjusted the fuel mixture. It was running fairly lean.
Then I checked the ignition timing, and found it to be off a small bit as well.
Now she revs freely up to about 6500 to 6800 rpm before sputtering.
Much better. Is this about right?
Paul

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Probably as high as you should rev it, it is a little old, you know. higher is possible, may result in faster wear, or breaking something without ballancing and such.
keep the revs below redline for longevity.
cliff

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If you're going beyond stock redline, the stock injection pump is probably going to go lean on you. If this engine is modified for higher revs, you should consult Wes Ingram for a HP pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. No she's not modified. I just ran it up to 6800 to see where the limit was. :D
I wouldn't normally go above about 5500 to 6000 even during very spirited driving.
It just didn't seem right that it would sputter so abruptly at 5800. I feel better now.
Paul

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Stock Alfa rods are strong but 6,800 revs:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts