Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday as I was about to take my 1990 Spider Quadrifoglio out for a ride, I experienced the car not wanting to go beyond 2500-3000 RPM. It starts fine, idles fine, sounds fine however during revving and driving it just does not want to go further than those RPMs. Any ideas what it could be? These last couple days of thinking and poking around got me wondering is it a fuel delivery problem? Timing? Exhaust issue? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,045 Posts
can you rev it past 3000 rpm at a stop..sitting.. in no gear?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, while sitting at a standstill in neutral, the car will not rev past 3000 RPM

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
with the hood open,, can you rev the motor useing your finger, pulling up on the throttle?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question, haven't tried that yet, I will try it first thing tomorrow, thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This may not be it, but, I had an incorrectly set up cable in the linkage and I basically had half throttle. This problem was with a rear engined German car that shall be nameless on this board.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I revved the engine at the throttle with my finger way past 3K RPM with no problem, then I revved it again inside the car using the accelerator pedal again past 3K RPM. Hmmm.. I noticed that my center muffler is starting to rot and leak condensation, could that have anything to do with it?

·
Administrator
17,984 Posts
Center muffler or catalytic converter? If the catalytic converter has been 'poisoned' by an overly rich mixture if can destroy the internal matrix & plug up. The resulting blockage to exhaust gas flow can choke the engine & prevent it from being able to run at higer rpm's. Sometimes they will allow the engine to run when cold but block gas flow as it heats up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is the cat malfunctioning, wouldn't there be a warning light illuminated either steady or at least come on intermittently when the engine begins to choke?

·
Administrator
17,984 Posts
I don't know the Motronic system details. I don't think there is a sensor for the catalytic converter (but I could be wrong...). Here's some info about the Check Engine light and how to decipher the codes.

Check Engine light

Motronic codes

And if it is not a plugged catalytic converter (that was just a guess), does your 1990 model have a cable operated throttle? The earlier models (L-jetronic) has throttle rods. Could a cable be faulty - fraying - and preventing full operation of the throttle butterfly?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe I have throttle rods, I can confirm thru my shop manual, anything in particular with the apparatus that is prone to malfunctioning?

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
if the cat is going, no codes.. just a stuffy nose type running..send me choc chip cookies..:):)on the throttle rods, they get old.. try this fix.. easy to do.. the plastic ends wear out.. and the rubber linkage part nest to the starter goe's soft and yuckey. you can get the throttle ends( metal one's ) of any mbz diesel motor.. about 10 on each motor..pick and pull parts..free....

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have any of these things available? Or do I have to hunt them down at a junkyard?

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
send me a self addresed stamped shipping envlope, and a will send you as many as you want

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What about the rubber linkage part? Do you have that one too? What is your address?

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
that rubber part.. send it to me.i will fix it for you.. you know the part i am telling you about/??.. it the part just to the rear( firewall ) of the starter..look dead centre on this photo.. you are going to rip it out,, just clean the hole that is left over....

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, the envelope will be on it's way, the rubber linkage part I'll get back to you on that one, it's a tight squeeze in there, probably will have to borrow my friends jack (he's got a nicer one) to start this dance from underneath. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
just take off the intake.....easyer...plus while it's down,, you can do some cleaning:):):)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts