Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just wanted to share the info : my rev counter cable broke and I since I could not find one specifically for a 2600 sprint, I have used the Rev/tacho cable for left hand drive 105 series cars which 1.55m long from Classic Alfa. It is 10 cm shorter than for 106 but it fits following the same route than the original cable and now I am back with a working rev counter ;-) at a very reasonable price.

Lionel

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
[Long ago when there were no parts available for Alfas in Seattle my speedo cable broke. I went to a good old Yankee parts house (Schucks -- Now long gone) and bought good old American "fits all" speedo cable with the end for fitting into the speedo head already squared and an indeterminate length. I was able to lay it beside the broken one, cut it to correct length, and then put the driver head onto it by using the accompanying tool into which the cut end was fitted and then laid on an anvil to be hit with a hammer to pinch down tight on the driver head. Result was a speedo drive on my 59 spider with now 223,000 miles. You could make a rev counter cable too, but there is a catch. Terribly hard -- I found it impossible -- to thread the cable through the cable housing because of the black elbow piece in the middle which won't allow the cable to line up through to the other part of the sheath. But I did replace that cable in one of the other spiders of the 12 I've had, but I had to take one end off that black cable sheath elbow to thread the cable and then make a new soft metal piece to crimp to hold that elbow onto the sheath afterwards. I later sold that spider so I can't swear it is still working okay, but I can't believe it isn't still good. I use graphite to lubricate these cables so they don't get noisy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts