Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been told to replace both disc and pressure plate but frankly have never seen anything wrong with the plates I've replaced. The problem was always clearly a worn disc. My Berlina clutch is slipping and, due to current finances, I'm considering just doing the disc, throwout, and pilot and reusing the plate or using one of the 3 or 4 that I have laying around. Is there any way to tell if a clutch plate is reusable? Have a local machine shop resurface & check springs? It usually takes me all weekend to do a backyard clutch job. Is this completely false economy?

How about those $100 throwout bearings?

·
Super Moderator
11,146 Posts
I've always been told to replace both disc and pressure plate but frankly have never seen anything wrong with the plates I've replaced.... It usually takes me all weekend to do a backyard clutch job. Is this completely false economy?
Well, as long as you aren't paying for labor, it certainly isn't "false economy" to re-use parts. The philosophy of replacing everything "while you're in there" is based having paid a shop $$$/hr to have gotten "in there" in the first place, and not wanting to have to pay it again in the near future.

Heck, I have reused pilot bushings, pressure plates, and throw-out bearings and only replacing the clutch disk. As long as the TO bearing isn't making noise, and doesn't feel gritty, it's probably fine.

Be sure to inspect the fingers on the PP, where they contact the TO bearing. PP's can wear in that area, as well as on the friction surface.

·
Premium Member
14,553 Posts
I've done a lot of clutches and never changed a pressure plate. I recently had a flywheel lightened and balanced with a used pressure plate.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, At least I'll know I'm in good company!

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
...watch out.:confused:...................................................murphy's law might be near.:eek:.. and waiting for you:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p

·
Premium Member
14,553 Posts
The decision is easy on a Milano or GTV6. The friction disc is $84 and the complete assembly is about $800. As far as I know you can only get a new pressure plate as part of a complete assembly. I bought my first Verde with a slipping clutch. I just replaced the friction disc. That was 6 years and 50k miles ago.
I have only replaced clutches because they were slipping or because I had the engine or gearbox out and it was prudent to replace the disc. I have never had a slipping clutch that did not have a worn out friction disc and I always just replaced the friction disc. I have been doing them for 45 years. I stand by my recommendation to Bill. If the pressure plate looks OK, then re-use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts