Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. Like bad indigestion, a lingering infection or a Supertramp song, the "no crank" has returned.

Went to re-fit all of the plastic console bits on Monday morning. Cranked fine and I warmed the Alfa for a few minutes. Stopped and restarted about 4 times then... no crank. Checked the large round connector. Checked the relays.. all are clicking. Checked the security switch to confirm OFF. Checked the harness and jumped one questionable wire (yellow to red) still no crank.

I hope to apply 12v to Pin 1 tomorrow, weather permitting, to make sure the starter does not have an intermittent issue but if that works, can anyone tell me how to bypass the security box? I am wondering if the internal on-off may be the issue. At this point I am hunting for ideas.

Thanks.

beeton
95 LS

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
When Myron's LS had that issue with needing an antitheft system bypass fix and since wiring different than 12v models, I had to run a bypass wire directly from purple-black starter relay wire at ignition switch connector directly to purple wire going to pin 86 at I10 starter relay in that 6-relay cluster to right of steering column.

Here is my old post on it: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/913110-post1.html

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Supertramp isn't so bad....ciao, jc

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re no crank 95ls

When Myron's LS had that issue with needing an antitheft system bypass fix and since wiring different than 12v models, I had to run a bypass wire directly from purple-black starter relay wire at ignition switch connector directly to purple wire going to pin 86 at I10 starter relay in that 6-relay cluster to right of steering column.

Here is my old post on it: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/913110-post1.html

You wrote: "I took black starter wire from switch out of the 4-wire connector to switch and ran a 6" new purple wire to purple wire going to I10 starter relay socket holder pin 86."

So, I plunk out black starter wire from 4 wire connector, take a 6" length of Purple wire and connect that to the purple female connector that would have gone onto pin 86 at the I10 relay?
Just want to make sure I don;t bugger things up.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
You wrote: "I took black starter wire from switch out of the 4-wire connector to switch and ran a 6" new purple wire to purple wire going to I10 starter relay socket holder pin 86."

So, I plunk out black starter wire from 4 wire connector, take a 6" length of Purple wire and connect that to the purple female connector that would have gone onto pin 86 at the I10 relay?
Just want to make sure I don;t bugger things up.

Thanks.
Sounds like you got the idea.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No response from 12v at pin 1

So, applied 12v directly to female pin 1 (at the connector on the side of the engine, not the one under the firewall cover). Reads 12v at the male end but no response from the strarter when applying 12v directly to pin 1 female. I take this as a confirmation that it is either a starter issue or the wiring at the starter. Guess there's no other choice than taking off the air-box and such to get to the starter itself. Is it possible to remove the starter without removing the exhause manifold (I see many scraped knuckles and busted studs i my nightmares)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts