Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Retrofitting A/C in a 71 spider?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  stasha 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to retrofit an 84 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 A/C Evaporator And Blower Motor into a 71 Spider?
See link here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/84-Alfa-Ro...+Romeo&hash=item546e7eeebb:g:UxUAAOSw68ZcwLP-

There aren't any aftermarket A/C kits for these cars as far as I know, but if this evaporator/heater box combo from the 84 can be used, I'm up for the task. I live in the desert so A/C is basically life support and I really would like to drive this car very often. Any suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
I was wondering if it was possible to retrofit an 84 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 A/C Evaporator And Blower Motor into a 71 Spider?
There is a LOT more involved than just installing an evaporator and blower motor. You need the bracketry to mount the compressor to the engine. Need to relocate the battery to the trunk because the compressor occupies that volume. Need to relocate the alternator because the compressor occupies that volume. Need a crankshaft pulley with grooves for 2 belts. I'm sure I'm overlooking a bunch of additional details.

Mid-70's GTV's could accommodate factory A/C, but could the early 105 spiders? The '84 spider has a very different console than the '71; would the A/C bits even fit into a '71 console?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but buying a later spider (with factory air) would be a LOT easier.

#6 ·
Brian,
I know this is reviving an old thread (2019), but could you give me the POC in Thailand regarding installation of AC into his Alfas?
I'm still researching the prospect of doing this to my 72 Spider, but but but I'm remembering how much work it involves in the under-dash evaporator/ducting installation of other cars I have done - ugh.
The compressor/condenser/hoses are a piece of cake in comparison -- so if there is a "recipe" and something along the lines of an evaporator kit, it might tip me over into doing the conversion.
Thanks.

#4 ·
Back in the 70's and 80's there were kits to install A/C in spiders.

The factory systems from 82 and later spider will fit in and there better then the early aftermarket systems. The 1982 to 1985 system will work the best. As the 86 and later moved the center vents to were the 3 small gauges are.

But you will need to get the bracket and pins that go on the front of the head and move the battery to the trunk.

Here are a couple of pictures of a 76 spider that I put the A//C system form a 1984 spider into about 25 years ago.

I used the air pump bracket to bolt the compressor to.

I mounted the A/C switch to the console where the dimmer switch would normally be.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.