Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tossed my '78's 120 pound rusted out rear bumper and went prowling the local wrecking yard looking for something that would work as a replacement. Sadly, nothing built in the last 20 years has had a separate bumper--it's all molded in and painted to match the rest of the bodywork. Then I rounded a corner and saw an '85 Chevy Sprint.

Sacrilege.

But it measured out about right. I had it pulled, which took the removal of two bolts in the rear hatch area. $75, six carriage bolts and six drilled holes later, I have this:

Not perfect--sticks out more than I'd like, but that's with the bumper shocks fully extended. Best of all, the bumper weighs somewhere around 12 pounds.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Looks great.

Did you snap photos of the installation procedure? (Where did those bolts go?)

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks great.

Did you snap photos of the installation procedure? (Where did those bolts go?)

Thanks

I thought about it, but it's ridiculously simple. The bumper frame is a steel 3-sided box. There's a welded-on mounting point around 10" inboard which attaches to the open side of the box. I had to cut away part of the original mount to gain access on the passenger side bumper strut (which for some reason is further inboard than the driver's side) and then the frame just slid into place with the rear surface resting against the original mounting points on the bumper struts. I centered it, marked three holes, (the lower inner hole isn't accessible) drilled, put in three 1/2" long carriage bolts from the back on each side, and re-mounted the cover.

·
Registered
317 Posts
First of all good job, you Sir are on to something, if the shocks could collapse a little. The line - gap would be dead on. Your rear ride height probably came up an inch like mine did when I took my bumper off. Good job Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That really looks good. Even the angle of the leading edge of the bumper matches the angle of the rear of the wheel arch. Could have been designed for the Spider.

Well done that man!

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
You may notice an improvement in the handling, particularly in tight turns.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may notice an improvement in the handling, particularly in tight turns.
Mine never had the bumper installed. I bought a car, and a separate pile of heavy rust and plastic that looked sort of like a bumper.

I think the only big difference I'll notice is I'll be less paranoid about people driving close behind me. I used to scare them off with a finely atomized spray of gasoline out the tailpipe, but as improved carb tuning causes me to lose that "safety feature," I may have to worry about tailgaters again.

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
I think the only big difference I'll notice is I'll be less paranoid about people driving close behind me. I used to scare them off with a finely atomized spray of gasoline out the tailpipe, but as improved carb tuning causes me to lose that "safety feature," I may have to worry about tailgaters again.
I have sometimes thought about installing a valve to squirt a little oil into the exhaust pipe to deal with these people.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I tossed my '78's 120 pound rusted out rear bumper ...
I weighed my bumpers when I collapsed them a couple years ago. They weigh about 45 lbs each, not 120 lbs. Of course mine is a '77, so perhaps they tucked a 75 lb steel billet in there the following year. But I doubt it.

They will look a lot better collapsed. Here's the thread I made when I collapsed mine.

(Bumper thread)

The rubber bumpers look much better when they are tucked into the body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts