Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Neither rain, sleet or snow could stop two hard core Alfisti from their non-appointed rounds. Yesterday my son and I equipped with one Range Rover and one tow dolly retrieved his latest acquisition - the soon to be infamous $177.50 1991 164L.

Not really a day for it as the road from VB to DC was littered with motorists in the median, and some locked together in plastic metal to plastic metal contact along the shoulder.

The Range Rover soldiered on even though we spent over an hour going less than 20 miles south of Fredricksburg.

Interesting ride into DC to the bitter end of I-395 and then through the slush to the import repair shop where the 164 was located and covered with snow.We had to dead stick land it onto tow dolly and then winch it aboard with ratchet come along.

Little slipping and sliding during our exit from the slushy DC but weather went from sleet to snow and back to rain as we motored south. By time we got to my son's house rain had finally stopped.

Stashed the car in the back yard and called it a evening about 9 p.m. only about 14 hours after the saga began.

Attachments

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I saw that you guys picked one up on the cheap. My wife said flat out "No".

Sounds like you were right beside the house.

14 Hours is a mammoth time for VB-DC-VB.
Had to pick tow dolly up at 7:30 a.m. so we didn't actually get going to 8:30 and got to owner's house at 1:30 so took about two hours longer to get there due to traffic conditions and then about 3:30 before we got back on I-395 at NY Ave after we drive to repair shop and got it out of their storage lot.

Riding shotgun and not being in CONTROL gave me a few white knuckle moments, but return trip once past Dale City was not to bad.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nice score Steve! I just checked completed auctions and didn't find this one - what was wrong with the car?

FWIW, I once did a 680-mile, 14-hour car rescue venture like this, less the foul weather. My only drama was:
a) After several failed attempts, realizing that you can't really back up with a car dolly
b) Coming to the stark reality at about 5 o'clock that I was not going to make it home in daylight, and I had no lights on the dolly, and a dead battery on the towed car. The last hour was in the dark - no idea how it made it without getting stopped.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hey Steve,

Congrats on the purchase!! I was watching the auction like so many others, and I am curious what exactly happened to the oil pan to ruin the engine?

will this one become part of the fleet or go back on the auction block when its purring again?

Cheers
Martin.

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Steve,

Congrats on the purchase!! I was watching the auction like so many others, and I am curious what exactly happened to the oil pan to ruin the engine?

will this one become part of the fleet or go back on the auction block when its purring again?

Cheers
Martin.
Don't know as it is my son's car now and way down in the que. The PO did not know or would not fess up to how pan got cracked. He said engine quit on him coming out of Baltimore on way back to DC. Did he ignore signs something going wrong who knows?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I often thought it would be a good idea to put an audible alarm on low oil pressure and high water temp.....specifically for the wife of course:))

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Looks clean from the pics even with it covered in snow. Look forward to hearing about getting it back on the road, best of all its white on grey, just like the ole white dragon!

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice catch Steve.
How's the rest of the car???

:)
I think it is a parts car, since we already have 5 daily driver 164s between us.
He has two and I have two and my daughter has hers. Hopefully, it has many of the parts that repair orders say were replaced over the years by PO's still in good condition as I think engine lower end is gone due to cracked pan.

My son bought the car. Really can't tell much about the car as it was covered with snow when we picked it up and a real nasty day when we got it.

We had a small or large accident depending on how you look at it when getting it on the tow dolly in the snow and we wiped out the fog lights and front bumper. We had to end up jacking up car with floor jack under front jack point under driver's door area to get sub frame to clear frame of tow dolly. Then we had to ratchet it onto dolly with chain and come along.

We came this >< close to wiping out a/c condensor as we had to roll car down the snow covered alley onto tow dolly ramps and could not see how low car was compared to how high dolly platform was.

Be advised that even at stock suspension height the 164 will not go on tow dolly without damaging bumper spoiler and fog lights.

I haven't seen car since we parked it at my son's house. Just to cold to worry about it until spring time.

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
New used oil pan installed but!

We finally got around to installing a leak free and crack free oil pan and engine started right up with a good 55 psi of oil pressure. HOWEVER comma the engine noise way down low is unmistakably knocking rod bearings.

At least it will soon be mobile so it can move under it's own power. I expect crank is bad by now as guy was on interstate and on long bridge when it starting letting him know it was low low on oil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
Two Things:

First, that is the cleanest 164 pan I have ever seen ever, anywhere, at any time. I had no idea they were that color.

Second, since spring has returned to many parts of the country, it is nice to see photos of work being done outside! There's something therapeutic about it.

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
First, that is the cleanest 164 pan I have ever seen ever, anywhere, at any time. I had no idea they were that color.

Second, since spring has returned to many parts of the country, it is nice to see photos of work being done outside! There's something therapeutic about it.

I must confess that my son is a bit anal about cleaning car parts. In fact he even blasted it and then painted it.

Spring has sprung but even today was only about 48 so not a real warm day. I was happy to get into my sun soaked truck after we got car started. I was toasty roasty driving home.

I am an inside mech in a heated garage but his garage does not look as clean as that pan and no room for a car in it.

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I was the only guy older than dirt that still crawled under a car :)
I was taking the picture not laying under car. I do lay under cars but in my garage unless a real hard core emergency. However, last week I let Skip do it in my garage on a Milano clutch job again we were doing for a friend. I was taking the pictures.

Attachments

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update on the white 164L SPECIAL.Still at my son's house. It starts and runs and we backed it out of side yard this week to get his boat towing Range Rover out. Still have to repair or replace front bumper that got damaged when we were trying to load it on tow dolly in snow storm.

Lower end must have bad rod /main bearings but oil pressure still good for what little we run it even after engine up to operating temp so cooling fan will come on.

To many projects of various natures ahead of this one.

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bumping up for "mystery" buyer to review.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.