Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a broken antenna and finally just tore the unit out and replaced with short rubberized antenna for about $15.

I can't believe how happy I am to get rid of that nuisance. Its like that neighbors dog that barks at you every day finally dying.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
I use a blaupunkt internal antenna. Mine still works but hate that thing too.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
I just use an aftermarket auto-retracting antenna on the 91S and Milano. They work fine, as does the original version still on the LS. That way I can use the car covers.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Since I have to replace the headliner and repaint the red S at some point, I was thinking about putting one of those small blade antennas on the roof.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
They look so weird to me.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts

I use this. Sticks anywhere inside the car or up in corner of rear window. Only need to run wire down to antenna plug below. Done.

If planning a roof antenna the fins don't work well. A mast style would work better and be more appropriate for the year of the car. I think off the front right in front of the sunroof would be cooler. Similar to some Lancia's of the time.

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
I use this. Sticks anywhere inside the car or up in corner of rear window. Only need to run wire down to antenna plug below.
I used a cheapie version of that stick-on electronic antenna and have to admit that it doesn't work all that well. In the antenna's defense, I do live in an area with weak radio signals. Alfissimo's Blaupunkt antenna probably works better than my $9.99 Hong Kong special.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
"The OEM antenna can be fairly easily opened-up and repaired"

I found out the hard way that when you buy an aftermarket replacement toothed plastic inner cable which had snapped in two, they might never fit correctly. Never did find a legitimate replacement, even when they said "fits Alfa 164".

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Mine is now stuck 3/4 way down. I won't buy one of those short rubbers ones, I think they look cheesey on a car like a 164. I'll most likely take it apart and rebuild it. Or go Jason's route.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Ebay sourced motorized antennas work just fine, a bit noisier than the original quality part, but mine has worked for many years now and nobody can tell the difference unless they are in the car and can hear it operate. Direct replacement essentially. Mine is a black mast just like original. I even used the original fender grommet.
Charles

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
That's where I got mine. Yes, they are slightly noisier but they work well, have lasted for years compared to the original. Never think about them, except to lube the sections once or twice a year, wiping them with 3 in 1 oil.

The worst antennas were the "in the windshield" ones. Never had good reception at all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is now stuck 3/4 way down. I won't buy one of those short rubbers ones, I think they look cheesey on a car like a 164. I'll most likely take it apart and rebuild it. Or go Jason's route.
its true, the look is a little off, but the silence is a major improvement in the overall experience.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
Since I hear the antenna motor just once when I get into the car and turn the key, doesn't bother me at all. Usually the engine is starting anyway and makes more noise. I never hear the antenna motor when I leave the car, since I'm walking away.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes I agree the short rubber ones are not the best look for the 164, replacement universal electric ones are available on ebay or at auto shops for around $80.00 usually, available in chrome or black, the good thing about the electric ones is they raise to a significant height giving fantastic reception, and when you turn the radio off they lower to almost not being there, yes they break about every five years or so, but that's a good run, I find the later in rear shelf factory type have pretty mint reception as well, in Australia anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
"available on ebay or at auto shops for around $80.00 usually"

I spect you are talking Oz$, fairly close to the US$ (1 Oz$ = .86US$), I paid less than half on ebay for the aftermarket version. So far, the ones I bought have been working for at least 6-7 years.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Great to hear you are doing so well
I just checked e-bay and the cheapest one available is $28.00 and the most expensive one is $308.00 with plenty in between, yes Australian dollars

·
Premium Member
15,868 Posts
Yeah, I don't think I paid much over that, including shipping if any. Always have to add the shipping to get best price.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Here's a black one on the base manual I just purchased and a chrome one I installed recently to replace a broken unit, the changeover from external electric aerial to the internal rear shelf units seems to have occurred around 1990 going on the Australian 164s I have had experience with.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts