Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to retorque the head bolts (nuts) on my Verde.

Do you have first to loose the nut, oil the stud and then re-torque to the specified value? (one nut at the time, on the proper sequence)

If this is not the right way to do it, could you please provide the correct procedure?

Thank you, Gilles

PS, I am sorry posting on the 164 forum but no one was able to help on the Milano site

·
Premium Member
15,537 Posts
I've had good luck with that procedure, but not fully loosening the nut, just back about 1/2 turn, then retorquing. I have never bothered with reoiling, although theoretically it does make a difference. I've felt it better to reduce the chance of disturbing the gasket by not untorquing the nut too far (have to admit, I grew up on the four cylinder engines with the funny little o-rings, and always worried I would have one of those move).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That's basically how I've been doing it for the 12V's! Squirt some oil on all the nuts. Start from the center, loosen one nut at a time. Usually one turn will get the nut pretty loose already. Squirt some more oil on it and then re-torque it to the upper range of the specified torque. Try to do it in one slow non-stopping stroke (especially at the end) since once you stop the static friction is usually a little higher than the moving/dynamic friction. Follow the torque sequence but I believe as long as you work from center and go out it should be fine.

Keep in mind unless you have your torque wrench calibrated, it can be a few percentage off!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys!

I wanted to be sure that this was the right way to do it, I wouldn't want to think about having to replace the headgaskets because I screwed up while re-torquening...

Thanks for the information! Gilles

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Whether one turn is enough to clear the accumulated cruft from years of operation is an open question. When we re-torqued the heads on my son's 125k mile S engine during an engine swap into a good body, we backed the nuts off a couple of turns and doused them with oil. Half to one turn simply didn't feel like enough. Make sure you get oil under the nuts, too.

Michael

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Whether one turn is enough to clear the accumulated cruft from years of operation is an open question. When we re-torqued the heads on my son's 125k mile S engine during an engine swap into a good body, we backed the nuts off a couple of turns and doused them with oil. Half to one turn simply didn't feel like enough. Make sure you get oil under the nuts, too.

Michael
I will second that, make sure oil gets up under the nut. If I remember right, one full turn of loosening almost completely loosens the nut, so a little more loosening won't hurt anything to leave enough gap for oil to get underneath.
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
I will second that, make sure oil gets up under the nut. If I remember right, one full turn of loosening almost completely loosens the nut, so a little more loosening won't hurt anything to leave enough gap for oil to get underneath.
Charles
The key here is one at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts