Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the headgasket on my 74 Spider and it seems a bit out of time. I suspect I move the fly wheel when I was reconnecting the chain. I believe I need to get the cams so that scribed lines line up, the flywheel is at P, and the distributer pointed at cyl No 1. Is that correct? Terry

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
You mean cam timing or ignition timing out of whack, or both?

To time the cams, get the crank to line up on the P indicator, orient both cams with lobes on #1 pointing outwards horizontally (away from each other), and the marks aligned, with the chain tight.

The dist should be pointing at #1 at that setup, but you can fine-tune it with a timing light once it's running.

If the cam marks don't quite line up, you can make big adjustments by moving the chain on the sprocket. To make find adjustments, which may be required due to height difference with the new head gasket, you break loose the 22mm nut on the front of each cam, remove the small timing bolt, and adjust the sprocket relative to the cam, and reinsert the timing bolt when it's all lined up; there is a vernier arrangment here that allows small changes. This glosses over the process somewhat, but that's what's required to do proper timing. You need new locktabs for the 22mm nuts.

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere on the BB.

Andrew

1 - 2 of 2 Posts