Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hi Mark,
Your username is my perfect statement right now: Back to 105!
Things evolved quite a bit from my last post onwards. Not necessarily on the project itself, but very much in ... different terms! Some crazy turns led me to the decision to work full-time on Alfas and other classic Italian Sports and Race cars. My own car does not get the attention he deserves, but step-by-step it's coming together! Working on these cars all day including GTA, TZ, SZ, etc. just makes you want to increase your quality standard all the time - which is not the best thing if you want to have a finished car soon :D
Anyway, have a look: The bodywork is almost done, what is missing are the aluminium doors, engine hood and boot lid; I wanted to attach them when the suspension and all the heavy stuff is already mounted. Although, with that much of reinforcement welds I doubt there is a difference to the shut lines of the doors really :) The wings, front and rear panels are welded 'classic' with oxy-acetylene, leaving a very nice and mallable material that can be beaten into shape wonderfully! The panels from Classicalfa were very well made, although they still needed a LOT of attention with hammer&dolly. I stiffened the steering box area left&right, installed a cage and did small modifications wherever it was reasonable.
Parallel to the bodywork I built a 1600cc single plug 'race' engine and a suitable close ratio gearbox, a 8:41 LSD rear axle, ATE aluminium brakes (GTAm setup)and a modified suspension here and there to have somewhat of an enjoyable trackday car! Limited funds led to the decision to only paint 'half' of it; meaning that the outside layer of the car will be done when it is almost completely assembled.
Have a look at some of these pictures.
By the way: My jig now holds a bent 1300 GTA, waiting to be repaired. Cool stuff!!
IMG_5114.jpg
IMG_5124.jpg
IMG_5134.jpg
IMG_5351.jpg
IMG_5460.jpg
IMG_5464.jpg
IMG_5542.jpg
IMG_5562.jpg
IMG_5662.jpg
IMG_5716.jpg

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Wondering why you are rebuilding your 2000GTV as a 1600?
Pete

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks great!! Keep the photos coming so we can follow your progress!

Glad to see a roll cage in there!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Wondering why you are rebuilding your 2000GTV as a 1600?
Pete
Ha! First, I like the looks of the early cars much better. Second, 'my' 2000cc engine is working in a friend's Giulia Super since I did not want to let it sit around for too long without actually running it. And the 1600cc engine ist an inexpensive test mule to try some of the techniques the tuners tried back in the day - head with interchangeable venturis, the small (1300/1600/1750) block to accomodate all sorts of crankshafts, lots of 1600cc pistons/liners here to try and test, etc... it's all fun! But one day, I'll build a 2000cc engine for it 😇 I am looking for 200hp there with the Nord engine, coupled with a homebuilt gear set with 'true' track gearing.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts