Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
There is no such thing as to many pictures of your Alfa here on the Alfabb. Especially with what your doing.

Can't wait for more pictures.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Man what a job you have undertaken
These GTV's are remarkable for wreck and driver survivals. I drove one off a cliff on Rte 1 , 15 miles south of Big Sur California in 1970. 450 feet down a 750 ft drop to the ocean and driver (me) and pax both walked away. Car is still there I guess, since the insurance adjuster wouldn't repel down to look at it. I am now in my "midlife crisis" and have gotten a 74 2000 that I am rejuvenating. Only one I can find out about in Alaska. also a 76 spider but my "baby is the GTV.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
I was told the offset transmission tunnel is there to give the driver more space.
If they wanted more space they would have made the car fatter ;)

To make the drive shafts the same length the pinion ends up not in the centre of the rear axle. It would be crazy to make the drive shafts different lengths would be manufacturing silliness.

Anyway I do not know the real reason, but doubt any car's driveshaft tunnel is dead centre in the car.
Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Inspiration

Kevin,

You are motivating me to consider repairing a rolled GTV as well. Love the Frame jig, do you have any dimensions on that you can share

Keep up the great work

·
Registered
176 Posts
Holy-moly

This is some quality work, and as I do many meetings with swiss (assume you are swiss) I know the passion is there for perfection.

Your nation certainly does some nice watches ;)
Honestly, the chassis jig is really incredible, but on top of that, the work you are doing to straighten the car and replace sections of steel is all custom, all fabrication, you must have a background in this sort of thing. Care to share other work you have done?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello and good evening,

Thank you so much for your interest and all of your inputs and compliments, what a response! In fact, this is my learning project and the very first car I ever restore. If I could start that Alfa thing all over again, I'd definately change a thing or two.. :wink2: with the money and time I am likely to spend right now, I could probably get me a crisp stepnose project (my dream..) and have it restored by now! But I think the expenses are compensated with a steep learning curve.

I am seriously thinking about converting this very car with stepnose panels since for some reason the year of manufacture is dated 1968 (instead of 1974) in all documents, the car is by no means 'original' anymore and - most important - getting a reasonably priced stepnose project is almost impossible right now. The car would then feature a stepnose appearance with the late 'high' rear wheel arches, hanging pedals, 2000 engine with rear axle and brakes, hydraulic clutch, early glass fibre dashboard and custom interiors.
I am still unsettled, maybe you have a suggestion for me?

Project wise, I installed the floors and integrated the rear engine mounts. I upgraded my workshop with a spotweld device, a huge improvement I don't want to miss anymore. Following is the alignment of the inner sills to specifications. The plan is still working (so far) :smile2:

Best,

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Your putting the time and money in it, go for what you want. I thought this car was a 2000 GTV but made in 1968? No hanging pedal cars made until 1970.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ditto... it'll never be a "no stories car" and you're already making it your own, so follow your hearts content. If you prefer the look of the earlier Giulias, by all means, do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi all,

Now the left-hand side has inner and middle sills! :)
I was not 100% accurate; I forgot to put in the jackstands before I attached the inner sill and I also did not spotweld the floors to the 'upper' side of the inner sill. I just did not see any spotwelds on the rusted original sections.. ;)

After placing and welding in the inner sill, I did careful measuring to get the middle sill ~ 1 mm lower than factory made. This should give me a bit of air to adjust the outer sill for perfect door gaps.

Now some photos, I hope you enjoy them! Have a nice sunday everybody.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
O MY! I wish you the best of luck! Most, myself included, would not attempt what you are doing. I rolled the Spider in my avatar and landed upside down but across the ditch which my head was in. Not a scratch, Alfas have really good karma! Keep the posts coming!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts