Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to try and start my GTV (24 yr nap), Removed all old gas cleaned gas tank new fuel filter new fuel pump new air filter new oil new coolant blew out gas Lines from front of the car to the back Is there anything I am missing without tearing things apart? Throttle body moves freely, Motor is free. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I'm sure someone will be itching to say change the timing belt and water pump. Probably not a bad idea...

If you want a lower risk way to check the general health of motor before actually firing it, and you don't want to change the belt yet, take out all the plugs and squirt some Kroil or other lightweight oil in the cylinders and use starter to turn engine over. Unplug the fuel pump plug from dual-plug relay mounted in the pass. side rear of the engine bay corner to prevent flooding. Get the oil pressure up. Also, with plugs out you can check the belt manually pretty thoroughly (easier to turn over by hand). If you don't see any cracking or saturated areas or missing teeth on the belt, you can safely run the motor to get things back in order - THEN change it out!

Oh - your driveshaft center support + bearing are probably no good after sitting like that for so long...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I am wondering if I should take the pleum off and blow out the fuel rail and check Injectors the last time the car ran was on starting fluid I was going over and Starting it periodically and the fuel pump went out from sitting so I started it on starting fluid I'm hoping that cleaned out the injectors And fuel rail before it sat for many years Mechanically inclined but no mechanic .Not sure if I should attempt to get to the injectors? I did a visual on the timing belt looks acceptable to get the car up and running Trying to cover all the bases to create the least amount of headaches A.k.a. money!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the reply I am wondering if I should take the plenum off and blow out the fuel rail and check Injectors
Bootlegger, if you already cleaned the tank and have fresh fuel in it, I would just turn the ignition switch ON, and manually open the flap on the AFM to activate the fuel pump, this would recirculate the fresh fuel on the entire system..

·
Administrator
17,045 Posts
I wonder if you should remove the fuel injectors and have them serviced. Places like Cruizin Performance or OK Injectors will test them, clean them in an ultrasonic solvent bath and test them again for equal flow & full spray patterns. Having sat for all those years I'd wonder if the small internal passages might be clogged. The fuel hoses between the fuel rail & injectors should probably be replaced, too.

While I'm at it syndrome...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the replies I'm kind of getting ahead of myself I have to get everything back in and together. I like the plan of recharging the fuel system Try to start her and see what I got and move on from there. I did research on ok injectors seems to be an affordable option if necessary. The next obstacle is trying to find the time to work on it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts