Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To start off, the stock GTV has a restrictor(thats what the muffler guy called it) and two mufflers. Talk about no flow!

I went to a local Muffler shop and had my Restrictor cut out. It now has a little tune and it improved performance a notch. I feel a little more lower end torque and I can really feel the exhaust letting out freely! Now in higher revs my gauge falls like a missle which creates smooth shifting for me. Not like before where it lagged to drop.

I should've had the 2nd muffler cut out aswell, its already hollow so my car sounds like a tinn can!!!:D :D :D It was still worth paying 40 bucks. I dont have 500 to buy a full on exhaust system, so this is a temp mod.

By the way.
Which Ansa Muffler goes on a 73 GTV? Is it the same one as for the Milano? The dual tip one?

Oh and whats a good exhaust size 2 1/2 inch pipe? or bigger?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you have a 73 under Alfa and don't have money for a performance exhaust, I totally recommend paying 40 bucks at a Muffler shop to get the restrictor replaced with a straight pipe.

I took my GTV out on a canyon ride and oohhhh weeee! My car was pumpin so much harder then before. I can just imagine what some webers, headers and a straight pipe can do!!!

Its a good bang for 40 bucks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sniady said:
If you have a 73 under Alfa and don't have money for a performance exhaust, I totally recommend paying 40 bucks at a Muffler shop to get the restrictor replaced with a straight pipe.
did you take both mufflers off, or leave them on?

oh and and where exactly is the restrictor?

Jason

·
Registered
230 Posts
In the Alfa Romeo Bible it says not to remove the CAT because it is hella bad for the enviornement and I mean old cars smog enough as it is (not even having to pass smog in california pre-1975), removing the CAT will make it worse.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,362 Posts
The '73 GTV was never equipped with a catalytic converter to begin with!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the welcome

OK well what do you guys think about cutting out the "restrictor," whatever that might be, and cutting out the rear muffler? or cutting out the front one and leaving the rear muffler? (my gtv is WAY too quiet)

I want the car to breath better but I don't want to lose all of my low end torque.

Tell me what you think

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
If your GTV is stock, your exhaust would be three pieces. Exhaust manifold, center section Restrictor and center muffler), and rear muffler. On the center section, there is a small restrictor followed by a muffler. I would remove the resonator as Sniady did. After driving it around and you still want it louder, remove the center muffler (right behind the resonator) before you do the rear. You can remove the rear but, the center is a bigger unit so you would get more out of cutting off the center. GTA's came with the resonator, center muffler, and straight pipe in the rear. You could also cut out the resonator and center muffler and replace it with one MAGNAFLOW.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
GTA exhaust

Anthony states GTA's had no rear muffler but a straight pipe. My '65 GTA (with 4500 original miles) has 3. The first and center mufflers/resonators are round and much smaller than normal Alfa mufflers and the 3rd is the regular vertical, oval Alfa shape (with A.R. + #'s embossed in the metal).
What's interesting is that the parts book has different pn#'s and drawings for the GTV and the GTA , but neither system is like mine.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
thats interesting. from past experiences and parts catalogs, i have seen stradale gta's with no third muffler. another example of alfa romeo being inconsistant from car to car?

lets see a pic of that gta! you are the second bb member to my knowledge with a real gta. borrani (steve schaffer) has one up in washington and races it with sovren.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
GTA exhaust

Probably.
Mine is a USA "street" model.
Which "parts books" are you looking in? I have the factory parts book, but it has no date of publication that I can find.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Steve and I have corresponded for several years.
Car is in the body shop, painted and waiting for the interior, glass and trim to be reinstalled - don't ask how long it's been there - TOO LONG !!!!!!!!!!
I believe you and I talked on the phone when Colin Stanley was looking for a GTV here in Richmond.
Ed Rucker

·
Supporting Vendor
4,362 Posts
I believe the Stradale's were probably available either way. Centerline lists a rear piece with and without a muffler. BTW, their repro GTA exhausts are really nice. I should have one on my GTV by late next week - I'll report back!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having the resinator cut out.

Helps the motor breath a little better. You'll notice it. You'll be fine with torque.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks everybody

Ed, I've got the stock exhaust all the way back with the exception of the cat. Apparently the PO removed that already.

Im going to remove the center muffler and when I get around to rebuilding the engine, I'll probably put a gta header on it. (centerline PH105)

Thanks, Jason

1 - 20 of 20 Posts