Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;)Well, I started another project on the long road to restoring my '67 Duetto. The factory hardtop was in pretty poor shape- the vinyl was torn in spots and the rubber trashed all around. I considered removing the vinyl altogether and having the top prepped and painted along with the car when I get on that major project next Spring, but going with the original look won out (although I did a non-original thing by having a white, perforated headliner installed- looks better on the inside than the black fiberglass!). I was glad Re-originals was able to still get the rear gasket, although it took them two tries to get the correct gasket (the first one they sent me was the wrong profile and about 15 inches too large in circumferance, although it had a label attached stating it was for an Osso de Seppia/Duetto hardtop)- they did make it right and sent me the correct gasket- evidently the first gasket was mis-labled and was actually for some kind of Lancia. I wasn't about to remove the rear glass for the top guy until I had the correct rubber in hand- there was no way I could have re-used the old rubber, as hard and cracked as it was. Now I have to re-attach all the trim pieces, put in the new front and side window rubber, and re-install the rear glass- hope I don't break that in the process- I thought the rear gasket was expensive, can't imagine how hard the rear glass would be to replace, unless it is common to some other application I don't know about! Anyway, the new vinyl looks great, and I really like the headliner- shouldn't detract from the originality of the car, and makes the interior less "dark" with the top on. I'll post some new pictures later if anyone is interested- I could use some guidance if anyone has any pictures or advice of the correct rubber and installation around the rear of the hardtop where it rests on the rear deck- the old stuff was completely gone when I got the top, and the new rubber I got looks like it just goes on with an adhesive, but I'd like to get it as right as possible. Thanks for any help or guidance here!

Dan:D

P.S.- doesn't show a lot of the tears or general bad shape of the top, but here's a couple of pictures of the car with the top on last year..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1969 1750 Spider Veloce
386 Posts
I'm interested

Dan,
I am interested in any and all photos pertaining to the hardtop. Even during the stages of your restoration. My recently acquired 66 Duetto came with the factory hardtop. I am trying to figure out how it fits with the soft top stowed. I have attached a photo I took prior to the shipper picking it up. I used the front holdowns, but since new to Alfa Spiders didn't know how the back should sit with top down. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hartop Restoration

Hi Richard- looks like your top is in fairly good shape from the pictures- congrats on the Duetto! The back of the hardtop should have a couple of rubber "bumpers" that sit on the rear deck chrome strips- there should also be a couple of metal attachment points below the front corner of the quarter windows that a turnbuckle style tightening device hooks into- it should be long enough to have a hook at the other end attach to the soft top framework with the top down- just a matter of tightening the turnbuckle (the two hooked ends are threaded opposite to each other, so turning the center section will either tighten or loosen the corners down)- all my hardware is in a box somewhere, I'll take a picture or two when I locate them. I believe there should also be a soft rubber weatherstrip around the bottom perimeter of the top- I'm going to experiment with some weatherstrip to see if I can get a good seal.

My restoration efforts on the top have been slow- mostly due to settling in to a new home, more pressing projects, etc. I was also remiss in not documenting much of the steps in stripping my top, as there didn't seem to be a lot of interest in what I was doing at the time on the BB. What I've done to date is stripped off the old vinyl (after first removing the rear glass and all chrome/ stainless trim), removed the front catches, removed all the old weatherstrip (it was hard, cracked and unsalvageable). Once I had it stripped and cleaned, I had my local top shop put new vinyl on the outside, and added my own touch in having the inner surface covered with a headliner material. I just like the lighter, cleaner look of it- purely cosmetic. I acquired all new rubber for the rear glass and side windows from Re-Originals- kinda pricey, but they were very helpful, and where else can you find the rear window gasket for a '67 Duetto hardtop? I'd recommend having the rubber on hand before removing the rear window, just to make sure it's still available if you're going this route. I still haven't re-attached all the stainless trim, but I rigged up a storage system in my garage for stowing the top when not in use. I got a ratcheting crank and some pulleys, positioned it all in my garage over where the car is normally parked, and it seems to work pretty well. I re-installed the rear glass with the new rubber (used the old rope trick), put the stainless lock trim back in, and that's about wher it stands to date. My current plan is to start stripping the body this winter for a bare metal paint job, hopefully this Spring. I'm kinda afraid of what I'll find in the rocker areas, especially after seeing the threads Akitaman has posted- my rockers look pretty sound, but what lies beneath can be pretty scary! Anyway, here's a few pictures of the current status. I'll get some pictures later of the rear attaching setup I'm using- my top was missing the original hardware when I got it, so I had to improvise, but it's pretty basic. I'll also document reattachment of trim, weatherstrips, etc and post later. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1969 1750 Spider Veloce
386 Posts
Thanks for the photos. My duetto was picked up on Sunday. I have a 2 week wait till arrival. When I get to perform a detailed look at it, then I will know how much I may have to restore/refurbish it.

Again thanks

I like the top storage device. I will have to make up something like that also.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Dan
Thanks for posting this, your restored top looks great!
I like the idea and look of the headliner.
I have a few questions for you.

It appears your new exterior vinyl has skipped the two stitch lines or welts for a smoother look?

Do you have a pic of the rubber bumpers at the rear edge? I expect they attach to the steel plate in the first pic.

Does your top have the Pininfarina serial number plate below the window?

I've also attached pics of the original hardware.

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey GTD- great pics- makes me wonder about my hardtop now! Mine never had the lever mechanism to hold the top down at the B pillars like yours- I wish it did, looks much better than the hook and turnbuckle affair that came with mine. I'll have to examine the pillars more closely to see if it looks like different plastic trim was installed at some point, and the locking mechanism removed for some reason. It also appears I may be missing a couple of metal hold down pieces on the back to hook into the chrome strips on the back lid- is that correct? My top is held down at four points, two at the windshield and the two "turnbuckles" by the B pillars- I'd like to be able to duplicate the missing rear deck metal pieces for my top- would make it a much tighter fit, I would think. There were just two rubber blocks back there that rested on the chrome strips, and no indication that anything else was ever there. I'll take some pics and post when I put all the trim pieces and weather strip back on. I guess it's possible the factory or whoever made the Duetto tops for the factory could have modified and improved the design as production went on- so like the Italians! As for the seams on the vinyl, there were no seams as I got the top, so that's how I had the upholstery shop replace it. It looked original, was brittle and split in spots, but no seams- hmmmm. Another variation in design from the factory? Could be, I guess. At any rate, I really like having the option of putting on the hardtop in colder weather- and it has really great visability with the large rear quarter windows- reminds me of my old 2002 for a good "greenhouse"! I'll be working on prepping my Duetto for paint this Winter and Spring- after following Akitamans posts, I'm scared to death at what I may find under the old (poorly done) respray on my car- the rockers seem solid, a couple of rust areas on the floor pans, and it was originally green, but painted white by some PO- I plan to take it down to bare metal, replace what I have to to make a solid driver, and am thinking of going with silver since it's not original anyway, and I don't really care for green, but I may change my mind on this as I go along. :D

·
Premium Member
1969 1750 Spider Veloce
386 Posts
My hardtop has the same hardware as GTD and the two seams.

Question of the day: What is the sequence for installing the hardtop?
Include what is done with the soft top.

Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Dan, Thank you for the pictures of how you hang your top in the garage when it isn't needed. I was thinking of doing that with my wifes hardtop but wasn't sure exactly how to accomplish the task. Did you get the crank at Harbor Freight?

I will have to look at my hardtop and see if there is supposed to be those two hooks for the rear deck. I just have the latches at the front and the two at the B pillar. What I do need to get is the rubber that goes around the back edge to seal the underside.

I had a hardtop for my former wifes 69 spider that someone traded me for some Alfa work. I loved that hard top. You are truly blessed to have one as they are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Dan
I expect you will find evidence of the B-pillar hooks having been removed from your hard-top. I can't think of an exact replacement but I'd suggest examining marine hardware suppliers for substitute hardware. Clamping at the B-pillar is essential to a good fit with this hard-top.
Regarding the two seams in the vinyl covering: these were used as styling accents by Pininfarina; they match the seams in the soft-top. Me-thinks your top was reworked by a PO.
Regarding the missing steel tabs at the rear edge of the hard-top: I'd suggest fabricating these from aluminum or some other "softer" material. It always bothers me to hook these tabs onto the thin chromed straps aft of the ****pit; hence my inquiry about the rubber blocks or bumpers. I thought my top might have lost these blocks but by your description, these are probably something substituted on yours by a PO.:)

Richard
Answer of the Day - With the side windows rolled down, the Roundtail soft-top is folded and stowed completely, utilizing the nylon center strap w/Velcro; the Velcro seal on the flap near the B-pillar is undone and folded inward. The hard-top is lowered onto the car slightly aft of its fixed position; the tabs at the rear edge are then engaged into the chrome deck straps as the hard-top is slid forward. The chromed clips are then fastened at the top of the windshield and the B-pillar hooks are flipped upward into a fastened position.

Hint for the Day - When Removing: Don't forget to slide the hard-top aft before lifting it!;)

·
Premium Member
1969 1750 Spider Veloce
386 Posts
Thanks

GTD
Thanks for the hardtop install instructions. I too have the Pininfarina number on my top below the rear glass.

I need to get the two chrome pieces for the rear part of the hard top to slide into. Sources?

Regards

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmm- appears my hardtop may have been modified at some point in it's life- I see no evidence of the lever mechanisim ever being attached, and no holes filled in the pillar or past repairs or modifications evident, plus the trim pieces look different on the interior of mine- I wonder if my top could have been a "second", sold or given as just a shell, leaving the attachment parts, covering and finishing to an individual- I don't see a Pininfarina number anywhere by the rear window either- no matter, I love the top, and it works well for me- I have no doubt it is a factory top, just a little oddball I guess....I like the visability it affords, and while I like the old Parrish style tops, this just seems to fit the car better. Oh, well......:confused: Thanks for the great pictures- clarifies what should be there- now I can fabricate the plates for the rear attachment- makes more sense than the rubber bumpers that were there....

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got all the rubber from ReOriginals in Texas- they seem to be able to source a lot of original weatherstrips, gaskets, other misc. rubber that you wouldn't think would still be available. Not cheap, but what are you going to do? I was amazed that they could get ther rear window gasket for the hardtop- wouldn't think that there'd be a big demand to produce those, but then again it could be common to an old Fiat or something else- who knows? I selected a good grade of black textured marine vinyl at my local top shop that closely matched the original material on the top, and also picked out a headliner material to put on the inside while the rear window and trim were removed- not original, but I like it better.

Oh yeah, the crank is from good 'ol Harbor Freight! Have to save a buck when you can and when it makes sense! :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi, Has anyone had any luck finding the securing hardware for the Duetto factory hardtop? I bought a top years ago which is missing the back hooks and bumpers described above, and I see no evidence of the side latches. I am glad to see that Reoriginals still seems to have the gaskets.
Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi, Has anyone had any luck finding the securing hardware for the Duetto factory hardtop? I bought a top years ago which is missing the back hooks and bumpers described above, and I see no evidence of the side latches. I am glad to see that Reoriginals still seems to have the gaskets.
Thanks, Chris
Hey Chris- I've had no luck on the rear metal plates that hook on the rear chrome straps- they look to be fairly simple to fabricate, so that's probably the way I'll go. The rubber bumpers that were on my hardtop were pretty much shot, but one of them might work as a template to make new ones if I can find some rubber material of a suitable thickness. There seems to have never been any provision on my top for the neat side lever hooks I've seen on other hardtops- just a provision for a turnbuckle affair that seems to work okay with hardware I got at Ace hardware, but is not as elegant or convenient as the lever/hook affair. Putting my top together has been pretty much on the back burner, what with getting the car back together after paint and bodywork, remodeling the kitchen, den and living room, planning for my son's wedding, and oh yeah, working full time in between, but it'll get there eventually! Good luck on your top restoration! ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dan,
Thanks for your thoughts! The pictures in this thread will help with the fabrication. It's hard to imagine anyone would strip off all of the hardware except the front clasps, but it sure makes it more of a challenge to restore the top. I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Regarding Hardware

Chris
Dan may have been correct in mentioning different suppliers or evolution of design on these hardtops. While they only seem to fit the Roundtails, there are variations in them that indicate possibly more than one manufacturer. Since the Pininfarina tag is attached to some, we have to assume that they made them. I know that at least one other company, Plast Car Italia, manufactured a look alike, in period. This may account for the different hardware on hardtops of a similar style.

In pursuit of your attachment hardware, you may find something adaptable from one of the British aftermarket suppliers. See the attached pic of Jag XKE hooks for well finished, albeit expensive, substitutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the input. I discovered on further inspection that I do have the little tabs below the side glass for the "T" (or are they "J") bolts, so mine is much more basic than the pretty latch system. The post is too small to have a latch installed. I do have a Pinin Farina name plate with serial number. The photos will allow me to fabricate some new rear clips, and with some Reoriginals rubber I should be back in business.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Dan, Chris, Richard,

Thanks for posting this great info on these rare hardtops. I've never seen one of these Duetto hardtops in person (other than the one I own).

Mine doesn't have the nice latching mechanism. It just has a metal tab with a hole in it at the base of side. Unfortunately, I never had the original hardware that secured the sides with this tab.

As you can see in these pictures of the b-pillar area, there never was a latch on this top.

If anyone has pictures of the correct mounting hardware used to secure the hardtop with these tabs, I would appreciate if you posted them.

Thanks,
Jeff B.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts