Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Zinc plating is the best method...however batch pricing may not be affordable (like the $200 min charge for platers in my area). I restored mine (prior to purchasing a DYI plating system) by simply bead blasting, primer then paint with rattle can paint. I did not remove the rubber from the flapper as it was still very well bonded to the metal.

riscal 005.jpg

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks but sorry all for not being more of xplicit...the rubber is what I am curious about. It is adhered but projects out so that vinyl dip won't work (not sure if it would be ok with the temperature anyway). It is an interesting shape to try to construct and I was curious what folks are doing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Looks to me that there is more than metal coating required. Looks like rubber on at least one part is done.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Ken...yes both of the small side dampers as shown need rubber. The big one inside the box is OK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Ok...now that you pointed out that obvious problem.....you need to rebuild that rubber completely. I see three options 1) find a rubber profile that matches...then mitre cut the corners and bond to the flapper. 2) using flat sheet stock rubber (McMaster Carr) at a thickness of 1/2 of the original cut 2 rectangular pieces and using rubber cement, sandwich the flapper between the 2 pieces. Clamp the whole lot between 2 pieces of suitably profiled plywood to ensure a good /flat contour is achieved 3) place a wanted ad for a good set of used flappers..... MY2CW.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I had a look at a number of my heater boxes and all rubber seemed to be cracked at best, and some missing pieces as above. So business opportunity here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts