Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought her in 1998 and used her as daily transport for a couple of years (businesstrip to Germany in winter is interesting) got a promotion, and a company's car, put the now rather old car in storage until 2012
after stripping and sandblasting she spent 3 years in the welding shop and 2 years in the paintshop, sometimes life has other priorities. the idea is to get her on the road again before spring 2020.

she was bad condition after 10 years of storage and a lot of bodywork had to be replaced.

originally red, but almost every 105 is red, so decided upon Blu Olandese AR343, seven layers of paint, two layer of clear coat. interior will be darkish yellow (ocre) leather.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
repairing the steering box.
after dismantling the end bearing of the steeringbox/rod proved to be damaged. This damage is due to disconnecting the ground-wire of the horn. The one that runs all the way through the steering column. the horn will sound but all the current has to go through the steeringboxbearing effectively spark-eroding it away.

P1030934.jpg

it proved impossible to explain to the specialized workshop that only this bearing needed to be repaired. They only wanted to replace them all (at a cost) or none.
So I made a stub and welded this to the end of the shaft.

P1030938.jpg

in the lathe turned it to the correct dimensions to fit a timken bearing

P1030939.jpg

made a spacer to fit the bearing in the box

P1030940.jpg

finished at almost no cost at all

P1030942.jpg

regards A

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I love this sort of workaround/improvement. Well done!

What was the Bearing no.?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
today I started with the brake-lines. To do it properly the steering box and vacuumbooster inc pedalbox had to come out again.
two steps forward and three steps back. which reminds me of the rule of time or planning.
to finish a job you have to multiply planned time by two, and increase the unit with one,
so an one hour job normally takes two days

it took a lot of "picture searching" to get the routing correct. I have thrown away the old ones sometime, can't keep everything, which I regret.

if someone has pictures or recomandations about the routing of the fuel line I would be most grateful.

regards A

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
request for pictures!.
to instal the brakelines under the car I spend a couple of hours scrolling through posts to get the routing right. didn't take enough pictures dismanteling the car so many years ago.
now I want to finish the brakelines from the enginebaypanel to the front disks.
first comes the flexible hydraulic hose and the the 4,75mm iron-brakeline to the caliper..

does some one have a set of pictures to get the routing right.
regards A

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Lemans, mooie kleur!

Try the link below:

·
Registered
100 Posts
repairing the steering box.
after dismantling the end bearing of the steeringbox/rod proved to be damaged. This damage is due to disconnecting the ground-wire of the horn. The one that runs all the way through the steering column. the horn will sound but all the current has to go through the steeringboxbearing effectively spark-eroding it away.

View attachment 1605110
I am in the process of rewiring my project and try to learn from this, I have noticed that this part of the car is un-fused!
The wire through the steering rod is a actually live wire 12V+ and when connected to ground a current will flow switching the relay to sound the horn. Disconnecting this wire will have no effect and horn will not sound when pressing the switch on the steering wheel. A shortage of the wire to the steering rod will force a current through the bearing, if the connection is good will sound the horn continuously.
Am I seeing this correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in the process of rewiring my project and try to learn from this, I have noticed that this part of the car is un-fused!
The wire through the steering rod is a actually live wire 12V+ and when connected to ground a current will flow switching the relay to sound the horn. Disconnecting this wire will have no effect and horn will not sound when pressing the switch on the steering wheel. A shortage of the wire to the steering rod will force a current through the bearing, if the connection is good will sound the horn continuously.
Am I seeing this correct?
yours is correct, depending on which wiringdiagramme you use the horns are fused/not fused. but on mine the DPO rewired the horns differently, leading to this damage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts