Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Man, this thread needs to be revived!!!
I stumbled upon it in an attempt to find out which Milano front swaybars would be a good fit.

Here's my 78.

Attachments

Reactions: Sketchl

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Nice, but it appears that the front end needs to be lowered to the proper design height.

I do know of a quite cherry 78 sedan potentially for sale, our old one, now south of Boston, chocolate brown with gold pinstripe, w/maybe Milano seats. Well taken care of, as far as I know. Trying to convince a certain person here to buy it and bring it back to it's home City, where it was sold new from Alfa of Tacoma.
The front is fine. I'm thinking I should raise the rear a bit but have been unable to find the factory spring spacers.

I'm gonna make some out of wood. Still codgitating on which wood would be the best for the long haul, and of course the proper thickness I should use.

I can't use the same stuff I used to whittle out my side molding ends.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
So, I have stock sway bars, poly bushings in most places, lowered to euro height, Koni Yellows all around set soft. I like the way the car handles, but a bigger front sway bar has my interest. Street and mountain roads only. No track days.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
@slowcreek how are the urethane bushings riding? Which ones did you so? Mine could really use new bushes buy am afraid to go non rubber - wish we were closer! I'd also like to go to a larger front bar but don't want the car to understeer any more than it does now.
They're finer than frog fur. Got em from Andy at Performatek.
I replaced caster rod, front and rear sway bar bushings at the body and rear sway bar links so far.

I too, am curious about the front bar. I just got back from a very spirited drive through the mountains. I wish the front end had more "bite" initially.

Gonna review my present alignment specs. .25 negative camber per side, 0 toe-in, 4.5 or so positive caster.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread for so long...I have been (slowly) working on my '79 Sport Sedan for a few years now. She runs quite well. I have loads of spare parts to install, but life keeps getting in the way. Just got a CA Cat from CariD. I am ashamed to post pictures at this time, lets keep this thread rolling...
Welcome to the updated insanity thread with new characters.....

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread for so long...I have been (slowly) working on my '79 Sport Sedan for a few years now. She runs quite well. I have loads of spare parts to install, but life keeps getting in the way. Just got a CA Cat from CariD. I am ashamed to post pictures at this time, lets keep this thread rolling...
I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Looks like there are some intros going on with this thread. Here is my 78' Sedan I got out of Oregon last year. Spica changed to duel Webers. Bumpers changed to euro stainless. It was originally cream color, and the side markers were removed during that repaint.
-Andy
78' Alfetta
74' GTV
80' Fiat Spider
I'm loving the intros and the photos!!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
That will certainly keep you busy! Wish the new Gladiator was as good looking as those previous trucks - or even the original. Had a J4000 back in the 80s. Tough bugger.
I was Service Manager and Shop Foreman at a Jeep dealer from 1980 til 1992.

I had 13 Comanches as demos and even an 85 J10 pickup. Neat trucks.

Jeeps and Alfas. Best of both worlds. I went on my first date at 16 in the car below. That's our Dad checking it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I absolutely love my Sport Sedan. I've had quite a few unique cars that I've modified over the years and this car is a kick.

I'm excited to see the resurgence in this thread.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Jeff, share your alignment specs and your assessment of the alignment.

So y'all know, the route from my house to Jeff's is a spirited driver's dream run.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
-.8 camber
0 toe
+4.0 caster
Seems to turn in way better, though I did have traffic going up and down the mountain. Dead straight, no tramlining. It was way out of spec before, but the tech commented on all the new stuff underneath...
I've got about 4.5* positive caster, 0 toe, and .25 negative camber per side.

I'm going for 1* neg camber per side and a 24mm Milano front sway bar.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Anybody have a 24mm Milano front sway bar or 2?
27mm is okay also.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
@slowcreek - I see you are adding front sway bar? It's more difficult to change but a stiffer rear sway bar will make a much bigger difference in eliminating the understeer and body roll. I've modified a 79 coupe and a 78 sedan. The 79 sedan is all original and I went round and round considering what to modify without loosing the original characteristics of the car. I added a Shankle sport rear sway bar, (not sure of the diameter) that I had laying around and what a difference. The rest of the suspension is stock so it is still a rather soft ride but the body roll and understeer is significantly reduced. JMTCW.

Jim
Good to know. My front bar should be here any day.

I'll report my findings.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I wonder if the Milano rear bar will work.......

The Milano Verdes that alfa Parts Exchange just got last week had the 27mm fronts. Perhaps they had the upgraded rears also?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
While waiting on front swaybars, Jeff and I added relays to our headlights.

So far, he has stock bulbs. I went up to 90/100s since I live in a rural area with deer.

I'm messing with mirrors. I added a Wink wide angle 5 pane mirror I had laying around. Quite an improvement. I happen to have a "baby" Tornado mirror on the driver side and a full size Tornado on the right side. Vitalonis both of them. I don't like the tint and the driver side is all scratched.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Man, wish I was near you guys -- would be great to wrench together. How much of an improvement were the relays?

The tornados are the stock mirrors, right? I have Vitaloni Baby Bravos on mine and they are one of the favorite bits of the car. Super cool, sporty feel/view out the window when you are driving aggressively. Love them.

Are you doing rear bars? That's a trans drop situation, right? Would love to do front and back on mine as I feel it needs more rear bar. Could be my bushings though. :)
I'm doing a 27mm front bar and Jeff is doing a 24mm front bar.

What have you done in the way of poly bushings so far?

and, lets see a pic of those mirrors.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The poly are not bad at all.

Definitely do the caster bushings and center mounts for both swaybars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.