Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post shows a very challenging and labor intensive process of restoring and fabricating car body parts for one of the classic car icons, Alfa Romeo Spider.

This is how the car looked when we first saw it, after many years of negligence.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Good luck with the restoration.

I still believe that all Spiders are the very best cars ever made (physically).

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Nice work

very nice,
That's tough getting to that front A pillar! I have some experience at that, & don't care to go at it again.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Wow! Very nice. Please keep posting info and photos as you progress.

One question: what thickness steel did you use? Just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
that is nice work!
there is some very good restoration work being done nowadays in eastern europe.
A lot of germans now have their cars restored out there (Poland, Czech rep. etc) because the labour cost here is mad for a normal car resto.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is nice work!
there is some very good restoration work being done nowadays in eastern europe.
A lot of germans now have their cars restored out there (Poland, Czech rep. etc) because the labour cost here is mad for a normal car resto.
Hi.

Thanks.

Exactly.

And I'm currently doing a few of them. :)

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
As a non metalworker, I'm always amazed at how these craftsmen manage to get the positioning of these replacement parts to line up perfectly. Do you use a jig of some sort? Lasers? or is it just measure, measure measure...weld?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a non metalworker, I'm always amazed at how these craftsmen manage to get the positioning of these replacement parts to line up perfectly. Do you use a jig of some sort? Lasers? or is it just measure, measure measure...weld?
I always use jig. If I do not have the original, I make my own to keep the car in the proper dimension.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts