Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am restoring a ALFA GTC 1965. There are other owners who can give me some advice? By

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Welcome! There is a handfull of GTC owners here on the board and we are happy to help. Also, there is a wealth of information on restoring '60s Alfas in general. Where are you in the restoration process?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTC: restoration process

I started the restoration in 2000. I attach photos to show you. My problems are:
- the hood (I have the chassis only)
- the interior: vinyl or leather ?

Excuse me for my bad English.

Mike GT1.jpg

GT2.jpg

GT3.jpg

GT4.jpg

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Ciao da parte mia e benvenuto al' ALFABB! You are fortunate that you are in Italy because many suppliers of the spare parts that you will be needing are there! I guess the question about the interior will depend on your intention with the car. Will you be restoring it to an "original as delivered from the factory condition" (well at least as close to it as possible) or, will you be looking to add many of your own personal details that may not necessarily be original to the car? Have you asked ALFA STORICO for any of the history and details pertaining to your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Restoring Alfa Gtc

Thank you for advice. You know how many Gtc there are in your forum?

·
Registered
51 Posts
1965 Ar*760005 Rhd Gtc

25 febbraio 2008

Gentile Sig. Michele,

Proprio un anno fa, il 25 febbraio, riportavo in Italia (a Pisa) dall'inghilterra una GTC rosso alfa, una delle 99 costruite con guida a destra (105.29 AR*760005), in apparenti discrete condizioni di carrozzeria e perfettamente originale e funzionante sul versante motore. Putroppo, con auto come le Alfa Romeo degli anni '60 tipo Giulia Sprint GT 1a Serie, prive di trattamenti antiruggine adeguati, dopo 40 anni di onorato servizio, le sorprese non possono mancare. Infatti, una volta ripresomi dalla spesa iniziale, lo scorso ottobre è cominciato il reastauro ... E come sono stati rimossi vernice, stucco e quant'altro, ai nostri occhi si è presentato uno spettacolo assai difficile, soprattutto nelle sezioni dei sottoporta, dei parafanghi e dei fondi. La prima cosa importante per la mia GTC è stata quella di ricostruire gli speciali elementi di rinforzo che la Touring aveva previsto per questa cabriolet. Disegni alla mano, da catalogo dei pezzi di ricambio, questi elementi sono stati rifatti ex novo ed inseriti nelle posizioni originali in maniera decisamente filologica. Da qui siamo passati ai parafanghi e ai fondi, ora in corso di ripristino. Poi toccherà alle altre piccole magagne da bonificare sulla carrozzeria, come conseguenza di interventi un po' maldestri apportati, nel tempo, dai precedenti proprietari. Infine toccherà agli interni. Non serve dirLe che l'impegno economico è decisamente importante!
Voglio ricordarLe, a proposito, che per le GTC di colore rosso erano previsti interni grigio scuro (antracite) sia dei sedili che dei rivestimenti. Anche la moquette dei tappeti era prevista di color grigio. La GTC non veniva fornita con sedili in pelle. Tutto il rivestimento era di vinile.
Sono fuori sede fino a venerdì. Appena rientro, posso inviarLe alcune foto dell'auto come era all'atto dell'acquisto e come si trova, in questo momento, in corso di restauro.

Cordiali saluti

Giovanni

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Time to put my increasingly rusty Italian to some use, so apologies for any slight mistakes ...

Exactly a year ago, on 25 February, I brought back to Italy from England a red Alfa GTC, one of the 99 cars constructed in right hand drive (chassis number 105.29 AR*760005), whose bodywork was in apparently good condition, perfectly original with a functioning motor. However, as with so many cars of the period like the Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT, without adequate factory rust protection, after 40 years of honourable service you are always going to find some nasty surprises. Once I got over the initial expense, the restoration was started last October. As the various layers of paint, filler and goodness knows what else were removed from the bodywork and chassis, we began to see a very different picture, the chief areas of difficulty being the sills under the doors, the wheel arches and the underside. The first important task to achieve on my GTC was to reconstruct the special reinforcing metalwork that Touring designed for this cabriolet. With the help of the spare parts manual, these parts were remade identically from fresh patterns and installed in their original positions. From there we proceeded to the wheel arches and the underside, now being renovated. Then we turned to the other little imperfections on the bodywork which we had to make good, owing to earlier clumsy repairs made by previous owners. Finally we turned to the interior of the car. You don't need me to tell you that keeping costs under control was rather important!

I just want to remind you, by the way, that all the GTC's painted in red came with a dark grey ('anthracite') interior, both for the seats and the other upholstery. Even the carpet should be in dark grey. The GTC was never supplied with leather seats or internal panels, only in vinyl. I'm out of the office until Friday, but once I return I can send you some photos of the car as it was at the time of purchase and how it is now, during the course of the restoration.

Best wishes,

Giovanni.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pisa, February 25 2008

Dear Alex,

Let me apologize for the use of Italian! While I was replying to Michele, I did not realize that English should have had to be used considering that we are talking within an international forum. Anyway, thank you very much indeed for your prompt and really great translation!
Congratulations for your genuine 1965 Giulia Sprint GT! Finally, it gives me pleasure to say you that I know Richard Banks work very well and I am often in touch with him as a reference expert for my GTC restoration.

To the next time in this forum!

Kind regards

Giovanni

·
Registered
51 Posts
Alfa Romeo RHD Giulia GTC AR*760005

Welcome! There is a handfull of GTC owners here on the board and we are happy to help. Also, there is a wealth of information on restoring '60s Alfas in general. Where are you in the restoration process?
Pisa, December 7th 2008

As some friends of this Forum already know (Alex and Michele among them), I bought my Alfa Romeo Giulia GT Cabriolet in February 2007, through Classic Cars For Sale Ltd in London, from the last owner of a list of four since new. The car was first registered in London on March 31 1966 and is one of the 99 RHD GTCs built among 999 GT Cabriolet Giulias totally produced by Alfa Romeo in between 1964 and 1966. During its career, this GTC (AR*760005) has been used even for Alfa regularity races in UK (see the book: John Tipler, 2003 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Coupé GT & GTA, Veloce Publishing, Dorchester UK – p. 25, top left photo). At the purchase, the car was almost complete in all original components, very nice at first sight, but – due to the age - inevitably quite shabby in few body sections. Therefore, I decided to start restoring it with the help of a very good panel beater with particular experience in philological restoration of Alfa Romeo cars. The pictures given below show my GTC as it was at the time I bought the car and just few days ago before repainting following a radical rebuilding of rusty sections.

Kind regards

Giovanni

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pisa, 12 December 2008

Dear Michele,

Congratulation for the work already done on your Giulia GTC. I am sure you painted it white (or celeste cielo? ... ) according to the original color of your GTC as resulted from Registro Storico Alfa Romeo on the basis of the car ID number (AR*755 ... ), even if your Giulia appeared red before restoration. Did'nt you?

Keep in touch!

Sincerely

Giovanni

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear John,
the car was originally red.
But, during the rest,oring, I saw that on Ruoteclassiche, and I did the same: Blue sky 330.
And your restoring?
Hello
Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
About restoration of my RHD GTC

Dear John,
the car was originally red.
But, during the rest,oring, I saw that on Ruoteclassiche, and I did the same: Blue sky 330.
And your restoring?
Hello
Mike
Pisa, December 15 2008

Dear Michele (ti scrivo in inglese non per spocchia ma per rispetto degli amici del Forum!),

Let me say that it was very sad to me hearing that you decided to paint your GTC with a color other than the original one. You know that the Giulia GTC is now a very rare car and expensive too. Restoring such an important car following the original characteristics should be "mandatory" since - first of all - giving the car the genuine aspect represents by itself a valuable cultural event. On the other hand, you can not realize how much you have lost even from the commercial value point of view. Anyway, if it makes you happy, we can only take note of that.
As far as my GTC is concerned, I hope to have it repainted in original red acrylic color soon after Christmas. Afterwards, we will start reassembling all components. The RIAR (Registro Storico Alfa Romeo) asked me to submit my CGT to the referee evaluation for a Historic Car Probate release, once the philologic restoration will be completed. I will keep you informed!

Kind regards

Giovanni

·
Registered
51 Posts
... once egain about GTC restoration!

Time to put my increasingly rusty Italian to some use, so apologies for any slight mistakes ...
Pisa, December 15 2008

Dear Alex,

How are you? I hope everything is going good with you! Let me solely have the opportunity to wish you a warm Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Regards

Giovanni

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
About restoration of my Giulia GTC

Dear Giovanni (perdona il mio inglese),
before changing the color to my car, I called information to Riar's Ispector. He replied that it was possible.
I hope to finish the restoration by June 2009.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
michele

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Wow - that is Beautiful! Do you have any interior pictures?

One question - why so low in the front suspension and so high in the rear?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Congratulations. She is a beauty. Lovely restoration but same questions as Pancho

1 - 20 of 21 Posts