Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an experienced Alfa restoration shop/guy in CT. I've got floor rust issues (seat posts through the floor, weak jack points, baseball size hole in spare tire well.....). This may be one of those cases where it would be wiser to find a good left coast car and use mine as a doner. However, this is the third GTV I've owned and the other 2 died from rust. I'm really attached to this one and am willing to go the "death by 1000 cuts" route to keep it. I will always use my car as a summer daily driver and so I'm not looking for concourse quality but want longevity. I know of a couple of local places that specialize in restoring old cars that claim to have "some" experience with alfas. They are VERY pricey (many Greenwich concourse customers) and I really want someone who knows alfas well (based on all the wisdom/caution in the many Akitaman threads). I'm in no rush, especially if this would cut down on cost. I have neither the space, time or know-how to strip the car myself.

Any CT members (ideally owners of 60's GT's) with first hand experience that can recommend someone? Would also be willing to consider MA, NY, or NJ if a really exceptional restorer is worth the distance.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
John
I noticed you’re not getting a huge response to your question. Since I have no personal experience with any restorer in Connecticut, the best I can do is refer you to Keith or John at Alfas Unlimited. Contact them and see if they can help.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John
I noticed you’re not getting a huge response to your question. Since I have no personal experience with any restorer in Connecticut, the best I can do is refer you to Keith or John at Alfas Unlimited. Contact them and see if they can help.
Thanks GTD, I'll try your suggestion.
John

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you call them?? What do you think??
Haven't had a chance yet but their website looks great. I may drive my car there so they can take a look. I'll let you know more when I find out more.
John

Some other places won't even give an estimate. I know it is impossible to provide an exact quote in advance but a price range (High and Low) would be nice. Here is a typical (pretty scary) example:

"We undertake projects on a labor and materials basis, only. Because of many obstacles and factors involved in the Custom Build and Restoration of projects, as a matter of policy we simply do not provide estimates as to labor requirements or price estimates at any phase of the build, nor do we accept any project on a budget basis."

·
Registered
492 Posts
CT Shops?

Have you looked at the Alfa Owners of New England website? It is velocissima.com, I think, and there are advertisers there offering restoration services. I would think that the AONE members could point you in the right direction for a shop in the Boston, Southern NH area. Sorry I have no first hand experience with anyone in CT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts