Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have a cosmetic restoration on the wheels I received ten years ago with a Giullietta SS that I bought. They are in good condition, all the rivets are intact and there is no bi-metal corrosion. I have contacted Borrani America (Motion Products Inc.) in Neenah WI. They have agreed to look at them and give me a quote. Are there any members who have had dealings with them? I believe there was a previous discussion about the restoration of record wheels and perhaps someone has had them done here or somewhere else. I would appreciate the information. I have attached photos of my wheels.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,585 Posts
Motion Products Inc In Wisconsin is one of the top Ferrari restoration shops in the USA. The connection with Borrani is obvious in connection with the Ferrari work. They should be able to give you a good idea of the restoration work required as well as safety issues involved.

·
Administrator
3,813 Posts
Very....very nice wheels !!!

There was a guy in Italy who was offering a remanufactured set of Records a few years ago, I think they were new rims on refurbished steel centres

I'll dig out his info for you

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Borrani bimetal

It's Giugno in Italy who has replicated the Borrani Record with an original steel center and new aluminum rim.
He most recently advertised the wheel on the BB's parts forum on Nov 6.

Previously, Giugno wrote that his wheels use a larger center-to-rim rivet than the originals.

I have a set of original Records like yours. They looked very lightly used and a California wheel shop pronounced them fit. They weren't tested in any way. Respecting their age, I will treat them carefully.

Beautiful wheels.

Richard B.
Colorado

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
I need to have a cosmetic restoration on the wheels I received ten years ago with a Giullietta SS that I bought. They are in good condition, all the rivets are intact and there is no bi-metal corrosion.
I have 2 types of Turbo Sport 15 x 4-1/2 K wheels listed in one of my Borrani brochures from the 1960s. One type is for Giulietta 1300, weighing 6.4 kg, the other for Giulia 1600, weighing 6.5 kg. I have a hunch the weight difference may be caused by appearance (possible different shape of holes or balancing studs in the steel center) rather than structural differences. Either way, there were no pictures so I wouldn't know which type you have on your car.

I recently heard Borrani in Italy may be now able to restore and/or remanufacture Turbo Sport wheels but when I visited them a few years ago in the then newly reopened factory, they told me they did not have sufficient knowledge to restore my Turbo Sport wheels for the 2600 SZ. So, it may be worthwhile to inquire with them as well.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Ruedi,

Borrani were displaying new bi-metallic wheels on their stand at the Essen Classic Car show last year. I have some photos which are too large to post here, so email me if you want to see them.

Alex.

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Alex, on my XP and Win7 systems, I use the free Irfanview software to resize and/or crop images to 700 pixels wide (and then "save as..." in the same folder, with a different name) before uploading them to AlfaBB.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all,

Thank you for all your responses. I could not find any date stamps on the wheels. They were equipped with Goodyear blue-streak lightweight unidirectional tires from back in the day. The car has other race components to it and came mounted with standard Borrani wheels. I believe the race wheels to have been used very lightly. As all the original finishes and decals are intact. I am not sure what tire to use when they are restored. The car will mostly be used unfortunately for static display. I was thinking perhaps a Dunlop race tire. Any thoughts on this combination and trend pattern?

·
Super Moderator
11,585 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Blue streaks we all ran in that time period. Use tubes to avoid air loss through the sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Motor Wheel Services in the UK restored my set of bi-metal rims for my SZ. Great service, they X-rayed them too. Still an e-mail might get some sort of reply as to costs etc.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had these done at Right Way in Walnut Creek, CA 925-933-4046. They started out looking very chewed up and they did an exceptional job for a reasonable price (and timely, needed to get them done for PB).

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts