Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot really call this an update since I have not posted much detail on my '74 GTV resto in the past. However, some guys here offered some opinions on whether I should paint the underbody of my GTV or leave it black. Well after much consideration I decided to paint the underbody completely in body colour- AR 727 Grigio Chiaro.

Last year I stripped the underbody of all it old sealer, and then had it sandblasted. I then etch primed the entire underbody. The first photo shows the results after etch priming.

The second and third photo show me applying the underbody sealer (schutz) After 4ltrs were applied with a special gun, I let it harden for a couple of days.

The fourth photo is after I sprayed AR 727 silver 2K basecoat. After letting this sit for 1 hour I went over it with 2k clear (photo 5) with fast hardener. I was aiming to give the clear a matt finish (it is the underbody after all), but it ended up a bit glossier than I was hoping. Oh well.

Some guys might consider this "over-restoring". I am just waiting for the day when some Alfaclub weener tells me that my car was not properly restored because Alfa did not completely paint their underbody's.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Next step is to paint the cabin (flat black) and then block back and paint the outer body.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
Resto so far

It looks great to me. The chassis is in like new shape did you have to do much metal work? We will never get all the dents out of the bottom of my GTA chassis.

Lets see the rest of the car.

Bob

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob. The floorpan and rails were generally in good shape, but needed a couple of rust repair panels, which I fabricated myself. The spare tire well was replaced because of rust/damage. I don't think there would be much point straghtening your underbody if the car gets used regularely, unless you are doing a full restoration like I am.

I will be trying to post more on this car in the near future. Time is an issue, but I have taken so much from the AlfaBB and I think It was time I gave some back.:)

Axeman74

It looks great to me. The chassis is in like new shape did you have to do much metal work? We will never get all the dents out of the bottom of my GTA chassis.

Lets see the rest of the car.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
11,242 Posts
WoW! Very nice! When it's done, you will have to find some mirrors to park it over. As Bob mentioned, those of us with cars that were/are raced, suffer from rumpled bottoms! My spider looks very nice now with thin undercoating, but there are some waves if you know where to look.
Gordon Raymond

1 - 4 of 4 Posts