Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the original resto photo thread has disappeared. So here's part 2.

I'm fortunate that we have a blaster where I work so yes Kai, I'm blasting the pieces myself. Another benefit is that we do nothing but powdercoat and electrocoat. So why am I wet painting some of the parts? Some parts have machined surfaces, axle tubes for example, that require bearing races and such like that wouldn't fit if coated. So either elaborate masking would be required or vacuuming of the powder in certain areas before curing. Very time consuming. E-coating, which provides 100% coverage, is also out of the question for precision fit machined parts for the same reason. That's why some parts are getting wet painted. The black paint is Krylon OSHA Black and the pumpkin is in Argent Silver from Eastwood.

Here's a few shots on flaring a brakeline. This one is the line installed in the double flaring tool.

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A recent thread on polishing got me looking at some pics from the seemingly endless restoration of our 68 GTV.
The first pic is the center section of the rear bumper as it looked when we bought the Alfa.

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Sheriff. But I can't take all the credit. I'm doing everything BUT the body.

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good questions, Jeff. I never gave a thought on how the bodyshop was going to attach the new metal although the floors have so far been spotwelded. I'll call the shop that deserves all the credit on Monday and find out.
I only hope it turns out as good as yours, Azzurris and all the other beautifully executed resorations that have been posted to the BB.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Papa,

After all the help you have given to us for our cars, it's nice to see your own car get some attention. Looks like a first rate restore! Keep the photos coming.

·
Out of the office!
11,644 Posts
Looks like you're doing a first rate job. I had my axle tubes powder coated. The shop carefully masked off the openings of the tubes so that nothing got on the sealing surfaces. The differential went together fine. I haven't filled it yet, though.

I guess yoou've already figured out there's a mix of english and metric threaded brake line fittings. BTW, the brake lines that go along the axle tubes are still available from Alfa. I got my from Difatta Bros. You can also still get the ones for the front calipers.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Leave it to Papa....the Alfa Master.....no, no....the Alfa God....Perrrrrrrrrrrrrfect! Way to go Jim. I will look forward to more pictures. BTW....do you want to do my 92. I cannot imagine how good that GTV is going to look. I am seriously jealous!

Best Regards,
John M

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all the compliments!

Yes, ossodiseppia, the brakeline fittings were a bit of a challenge since this car uses 4 different sizes; 3/8" X 24 and 10mm X 1.0 on the small lines and 12mm X 1.25 (or is it 1.50) and 7/16" X something on the large ones. I detailed and reused all the original fittings except the 3/8 because the flats were all buggered up and not up to the level of detail for this restoration. Problem was, I couldn't find a fitting with this thread size that was 11mm across the flats. So I ended up using non-original US fittings that are 3/8" across the flats (sshhh! I won't tell if you won't).
For safety reasons, the single circuit brake system is being converted to a tandem system from a '69 US version 105 Alfa but using a single servo for the front brakes only. This shot shows the restored pedalbox, tandem brake master and the test fitting of three of the four new brakelines and one of two clutchlines.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts