Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Giulietta Sprint Veloce AR 1493 E 07984 Restoration

Thank you for the membership of AlfaBB.

Over the last years, I have been following your post, mainly in this forum, Giulietta & Giulia (1954-65) with big interest. I really admire all your professionalism and focus on detail of these cars.

In 2012 my dream came through, I purchased this Alfa Romeo Giulietta SV from 1959. According to Centro Documentazione Storica, AR 1493 E 07984 correspond to a 750 E Giulietta Sprint Veloce, body color Rosso Alfa, engine 1315 31739. It was finished 21st of January and sold to Hoffman Motor Co. New York USA, 7th February 1959.
Bertone body number: *657370*

I don’t know much about the history, It looks like the car has lived its life in California from a sticker in the rear window, Alfa Romeo Owners Club, SO California. In 1999 the car was sold in Santa Monica, California, and brought to Sardinia in Italy.
AR 1493 E 07984 will be restored to its former glory.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
Looks like it had V8 or some other nonstandard engine/trans combo. And the pedals were changed, looks like?
Plenty of LA folks on the forum; someone might recollect its history.
Andrew

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s correct Andrew, according to the previous owner, the original engine was damage, an attempt was made to fit a V8 and transmission was done. They cut out parts of the firewall and changed the support for the engine and springs. They also cut a piece out of the front. Luckily, it failed and the car was pushed back into the barn.
It got louvers in the hood, I have never seen that before and I don’t think it is original. It would be great to hear if somebody can recognize the car – maybe the louvers has a great story :)
John

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Looks decently dry and unblemished beyond the modifications up front, good luck! I kinda like the louvers honestly, better than cutting out a big hood scoop for the unfortunate V8 plan...

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Well done JB !!

At least some of the interior survived, the sheet metal can be re-created, the trim is much harder to find. I've got a spare pedal box and odd bits, but I suspect that sourcing stuff from Europe will be cheaper than posting from SA.

What you need to look for is the centre portion of the firewall and transmission tunnel from a donor car - there must be something reasonably close to you that someone has cut up, Sprint/Spider or Ti, it won't make much difference as long as it's 101 donor as you need the taller transmission tunnel and the sheet metal is basically all the same at that lower firewall area. It's really the one part that survives a terminally rusted car as its usually covered in lots of oil. The lower chassis rail/brace across the bottom of the firewall will be the same for all 101 variants except the RHD ones which have a cut out for the steering column. You will have to trim and fit such a part into place, but it will be easier than fabricating by hand.

Your engine would be a 750 Veloce with DC03 carburettors - I can see the DC03 blank off plug on the dash. Do you have the original seats and instruments ?? Original engine ??

We have 6 Sprints including a January '60 - basically a late '59 spec. I can take pictures of the firewall etc for you as reference

More pictures of your Sprint please

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Greig for your replay.
The car is 98% complete, I have all the trim pieces, chrome, alloy and stainless. The seats are intact and complete, including rear panels. The instruments, pedalbox, Engine, gearbox and Weber DCO3 did follow the car, even a cut out of the firewall and transmission tunnel from a donor car was included.
John

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Congratulations! Contact me via email so we can update the Sprint Veloce Register, please.
In 1999 in Santa Monica was a dealership that sold cars in the old Packard dealer building. They were known to have some odd cars float through there. What I would want to know is how the car wound up in Sardina from there.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I went digging into my Sprint Veloce files and found a folder with this chassis number. In the folder was a copy of the Subito.it advertisement. There is no date as at that time, I didn't think dates would be that important. I was wrong and now I date every folder! There are some photos I can share with you when you email me about your car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
JB, what a great adventure you are starting!
And what a comfortable "house" for the project you equipped yourself with

There will be lots of us following your progresses with interest

Rgds
Carlos

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your replays and interest.
After 58 years since it left the Bertone/Alfa Romeo production line, the fitment of the doors are still quite nice.
The louvers in the hood - should they stay or should they go?
John

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went digging into my Sprint Veloce files and found a folder with this chassis number. In the folder was a copy of the Subito.it advertisement. There is no date as at that time, I didn't think dates would be that important. I was wrong and now I date every folder! There are some photos I can share with you when you email me about your car.
Velocedoc, in your register the car is owned by Bartelone, this is the person exporting the SV from Santa Monica to Sardinia in 1999. I have send you an email.
Looking forward to see the advertisement from Subito.it
John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The engine mounts and spring support was chopped out to make room for some American muscle.

I was lucky to get the chance to copy this part from another early 59 sprint. New supports was made in 2mm steel plate. With help from the “Giulietta Sprint Catalogo Delle parti de Ricambi” from 12/1954 it was possible to make a 1:1 copy drawing for the front suspension. With this, it was possible to double check the location and angels. A simple gig was made to fix everything correct.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 91 Posts