Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
Got my new diff from APE and installed it on Fri/Sat. Orig 4.55 non-LS was a real howler, seemed like bearings, not gears. Dropped it out, swapped the brake lines and whatnot over, cleaned things up a bit and installed the 4.10 LS out of a 90something Spider. All good now. Drove Sat and Sun, I'll have to get used to the longer gearing but this car can easily pull it. Got my shoulder harnesses bolted in too.

One nice thing: early 1600/1750 axles have 8mm driveshaft bolts, 2000 axles have 9mm. But this is a 73 1600 from the 2000 era, the diff flange and driveshaft both had 9mm holes and bolts, so it bolts up with no drilling to use the big driveshaft bolts. GTA wheels have enough bevel on the inside to fit over the deeper 2000 hub ring too.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
10% longer gearing. So at any RPM you're going 10% faster. Or at same speed, engine is turning 10% slower. So at 70, assuming 3500 rpm with the old diff (gearing depends on tire size too), you'd be turning 3150.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
I find, speaking of slowing down, I'm always speeding with a 4.10. I drive by rpm, not roadspeed, and after 42 years of Giulia-Super conditioning, I'm used to 4.56. So 4.10 puts me 10% too fast everywhere.

Andrew

·
Registered
310 Posts
Borrani wheels

Andrew, you have seen these but maybe not the other Jr. Z guys. The wheels I have on my Jr. Z are Borrani mags made in 1969. I suppose one could argue they are the aluminum wheel designed for the Jr.Z. These look a lot like the wheels in the original drawings. And the year they were made fits too. And they look good!

Dan

Oh, Andrew, if this photo comes thru upside down and too big I trust you can make it right?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Never seen these wheels, either. What's the story, Dan? Also, don't think I have seen your car and it is beautiful. Love the color combo.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi guys,

I'll send more photos soon. I'm putting in a new engine in the next month, (I hope). I'll get more pics while I do the work. I will post them here since, like many of you, I was good friends with Morgan. As to the history of the wheels. I got them on a trade, don't remember what for. I've only seen one other set. It was at one of the Jumbles in Italy about 12 or 15 years ago, Reggia Emilia or Padua, can't remember which.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I remember these wheels from back-in-the-day. I think they may have been sold by Shankle or perhaps by AlfaRicambi but i can't be sure. I thought they looked pretty cool, although not as cool as sundry Campy designs. Seeing them now, they look perfect on a Jr. Z.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Jim,

Growing up in Southern California and having Alfas since 1976 I frequently visited John Shankle and AlfaRicambi, (Brad Bunch and Guliano Cressentini before him). I don't remember seeing these wheels for sale at either place. Not saying they didn't sell them, just that I didn't see them. Maybe someone else had them? The Borrani stamp is from 1969, not sure if that would mean these were made too early for our suppliers to sell them?

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
One can spend a lot of time staring at the design details on this little car. Here it is at the ARA All Italian Day yesterday. What a coherent style it has. Took this and my Super, though by the time I thought to take pics my wife had headed off in the Super for another event.
Ruth Ann had her red 1300 Z there, it's behind the two righthand umbrellas. As always, great low-key event.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Full-on side profile is one of my favorite perspectives of the car. It shows the overall wedge design but also accentuates the rather complex curves of the car: That sloping hood line and, most pronounced, the windshield-to-roof transition and continued convex curvature, ending up in the concave uptick at the tail. The beltline - top of front fender through top of doors to the rear fender character line that ends at the top of the Kamm tail - repeats this motive.

Yeah, I am also very partial to these models ... The car is gorgeous, Andrew. One of my favorite colors.

P.S. God I hope I did get the meaning of concave and convex correct ...

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Just for fun, I will repost mine in anger...a terrific car for racing :)
About 15 years ago... Still looks like this, with the Giulia headlight trims and a Montreal heart, in plastic.
Regards, Alberto

Attachments

141 - 160 of 170 Posts