Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the financial position to buy a 105 GTV project car - probably a 1750 though I'd love a late 2000 - having always wanted one, with the perhaps crazy idea of doing a significant amount of work myself. Though not in the trade I have done large sections of bodywork before on cars to a good standard IMHO and can MIG Weld but would like to know if the Bertone series is well-serviced for things like repro floor sections, sills, panel sections etc etc. I am budgeting on about $20K AUD just to get my foot in the door for what will probably be a basket case but a hopefully complete example, ultimately though, do members rate the car as a difficult one to restore structurally, therefore an unrealistic proposition here? TIA,

·
Administrator
14,505 Posts
I consider these cars a difficult restoration. None of the panels bolt on, except the opening ones (doors, bonnet and boot lid). An American car like a Ford Mustang would I believe be considerably easier.

But you are in luck as reproduction panels are now made for the floors, sills, and many repair sections but these cars RUST really badly. By rust badly I mean that often the repairs need to be to many layers of metal before you even get to the outer panel. Make sure you purchase a car with solid door frames, except maybe the bottom of the frame as restoring the doors on these things is something I have now nearly finished twice and extremely challenging.

If you prefer the late 2000 model, you should aim for one of those as it will be likely cheaper than a 1750 as some/many consider the 1750 more desirable ... but I could be biased as I have a 1750 :)

But, while I have taken a very long time to get where I am with my car, I mostly enjoy it as it is very rewarding
Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, thanks for that , Yeah I remember having to weld on guards on my old Mazda and it was very annoying. I had a conversation with an owner once at a Como event and he told me that his car needed restoring again - and it was indeed rusty, not even being in the show itself - having only been done ten years previously. I really like the final resolution of the shape, perhaps because there is a wonderfully original white example living near me, he just treats it like any other daily driver, unwashed, a bit unpampered

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi Steve,
As pete said there are a tricky car to restore but the plus is there is a lot of good parts available now, try to find a car thats not too rusty. 20k these days a big ask to find one. there was a 2000 on facebook in oz the other day in pieces for 16k. i looked back later and it was gone so didn't last 24 hours. you will need to scour facebook gumtree and carsales to find what you want.
keep an eye on this facebook page

plenty of support and cars in Australia.

cheers Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts