Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the time has come to get this done or get this gone!
After almost 12 years sitting in various states of disrepair my better half has lost her patience ... get it done ... or get rid of it.

So I opted for the first option!

I have at various times over the past years started and stopped this restoration. It was partly painted at one point but a friend of mine took one look at the rockers and told me that I would never be happy knowing that they were not right ... and he's right. So I stripped it down again and i'm starting again from scratch.

First order of business was to remove all of the suspension (previously painted ... poorly) and get the car on a dolly in order to make it easy to move.

I used 4"x4" material, bolted and lag screwed together. Attached to the dog bone mounts at the front and the bolt holes for the T bar at the rear.

As you can see the rocker on the drivers side is pretty bad.

I have already removed the front floor pan but at this point the amount of welding begins to scare me :surprise:

So I decided to send the car off to a local company for blast cleaning and then they are going to see what they can do with the rockers.
I have already purchased both sides and all 4 floor pans from Alfaholics ...

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So whilst the body is off being cleaned up I decided to restart on the mechanical components ...

Glass bead blasted ...

Improvised painting rack ...

Two coats of etch prime, three coats of satin black epoxy

I used a small ultrasonic cleaner with Evapo-rust to clean the small nuts and bolts ... amazing results in just a few minutes ...

Finally a Caswell plating kit to Zinc plate them ... for some reason the finish is quite dull ... I will try with more brightner on the next batch

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Can't see pictures for some reason??
Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car was blasted and epoxy primed today ...
A few surprises with bondo in the front valance, holes in the spare wheel well but generally not too bad ... rockers are first on the list ...

imagejpeg0.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts