Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a gtv6 that has been sitting for many (many, many, many) years. I have two questions:

1.) What size is the nut on the crank shaft at the front pulley?

2.) What proceedure should be followed to restart this engine, (if it has not siezed)?

·
Registered
625 Posts
1) the workshop manual doesn't say what size the nut is, but the torque spec is 173.6 ft-lbs :)
2)Spray some penetrant, or motor oil (about a cap full) down the plug chambers and let sit at least several hours. Check the plugs, gap or replace a necessary. Flush the fuel system, replace the fuel filter and inspect and replace all hoses as necessary. You might want to pick up a fuel pressure gauge at some point if you having problems getting it running. Next go through and inspect all of the vacuum lines. I would count on replacing anything original as far as rubber is concerned, especially fuel and vacuum related. Check all the electrical connections for sensors that are unplugged. (Flush the coolant, change the oil; although not important right away) Check the timing and condition of the timing belt and tensioner especially. Clean up all the electrical grounds, but not necessarily right away. Have a fully charged battery and battery charger just in case. You may need to spray a small amount of gas into the plenum to help get her started. I would also think about pressurizing the fuel system by hooking the pump up to a 12v battery to fill the lines was fuel so there is less cranking time. Also check the exhaust system for blockage, if it is as rusted as mine was, it would be better just to disconnect it. (I just pulled it off with gloved hands, it was so bad). Also have a fire extinguisher ready (I highly doubt you will need it but gas fires are HARD to put out). I'm sure I have forgot a few things, but definitely read and re-read this article: http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm by Greg Gordon before doing anything. It will cover 95% of the problems the GTV6 will have as far as starting and running are concerned.
Good luck getting her running. I know what it feels like (the anticipation) as I brought a GTV6 out of a 10 year hibernation about 6 months ago. It took a few hours of prep work, and about 45 minutes of cranking and a lot of spraying gas in the plenum to get her running under her own power, but man did she sound sweet. BTW if you need any parts check out my thread as I am getting rid of alot of GTV6 parts :D

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Crank shaft front pulley nut is 1 5/8" aka 41mm. Sears sells 1/5/8" socket in 3/4" drive so get a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter with it.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up the 41mm socket and racket from Northern Tool, (would have went to Harbor Freight but it was to far away). Got back to the house, put the socket on the racket, grabed the nut and it turned freely. This seem to be a great.

Next I'll clean up the fuel delivery system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts