Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once you disconnect and reconnect the battery, how long does it take for the motronic system to relearn idle, etc?

·
Premium Member
27,155 Posts
Should be fine as soon as you hook up battery. Did you install that chip and now have an issue?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issue, but I have some dyno time scheduled today. I was wondering if I ran it stock. Pulled it off the dyno and swapped the chip. Then put it back on the dyno, would that be enough time for the Motronic to have reset itself for valid runs.

I know Squadra Tuning builds a good product, but having been in the industry so long I have become critical of everyones claims. I friend in CT, had a ST chip for his S4 Spider. The dyno showed almost no improvements. The stock and ST graphs were right on top of each other. The ST chip did show richer AF ratios, but no significant power increases.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Should be fine as soon as you hook up battery.
I agree with Steve. I have a Squadra chip in my Q, and recently reconnected after having dash pod recovered. It burbled and sputtered for about 5 seconds then was fine. No hunting of idle, misses, or rough running etc. I do know that the Motronic is an adaptive ECU, and the chip is constantly being re-written. I believe its 32K of info, with like 4-8K constant. The rest is baseline ignition/fuel maps from last 30-40 starts? Something like that, I'm sure someone with 1st hand knowledge will chime in with specifics if I'm off. I look forward to those dyno #'s ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the Motronic is adaptive, but how long before I will get the best results? I want to test both the stock and ST chip back to back if possible. If not, then I will test just the stock chip on the dyno. I will then put in the ST chip and dyno the car again after the AROC convention.

You mentioned that your Q has the ST chip. Did you notice a reduction in gas mileage on the highway? Planning to drive to Detroit on Tuesday ( 1400 miles each way ) and need to get a good fuel economy as possible.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I know the Motronic is adaptive, but how long before I will get the best results? I want to test both the stock and ST chip back to back if possible. If not, then I will test just the stock chip on the dyno. I will then put in the ST chip and dyno the car again after the AROC convention.

You mentioned that your Q has the ST chip. Did you notice a reduction in gas mileage on the highway? Planning to drive to Detroit on Tuesday ( 1400 miles each way ) and need to get a good fuel economy as possible.
Sounds like a good deal waiting to test the ST chip after AROC. I'm sure the maps will be optimized by then. After 3-5 starts my throttle response was much better.
One idea would be to disconnect battery for a min before your stock run, as I'm sure you will when installing new chip. That way you will have a good comparison for whatever improvement because they will both have to go off their base maps. Then if not too expensive dyno again after AROC, which I’m sure, will have brought the BEAST out. ;) Sorry, no comparison on mileage as chip was installed prior to purchase. But I did get between 24-27 on a trip up to the Alfarm (before changing plugs). I would think you will get 28-30 with 12V.

P.S. I didn’t mean for last statement to sound condescending in anyway, I'm fully aware you know more than me about tuning ;) the comment about adaptive was for those unaware :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[QUOTE?] P.S. I didn’t mean for last statement to sound condescending in anyway, I'm fully aware you know more than me about tuning ;) the comment about adaptive was for those unaware :)[/QUOTE]

I did not take anything you said as being condescending. I spent last night searching for more information about the adaptive ability of the Motronic. No real information could be found. I just want realistic results.

I will unhook the battery and try both chips in their base map setups. That would be comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I would just do a "Generic OBDII drive cycle", it is described many places on the web. I know the 164 is not OBDII compliant, but it should do the trick just the same to get the computer to nominal emissions and performance.
Charles

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,740 Posts
[QUOTE?]I did not take anything you said as being condescending. I spent last night searching for more information about the adaptive ability of the Motronic. No real information could be found. I just want realistic results.
"Driving it for about 10 minutes should give it time to readapt."
Bosch Fueld Injection & Engine Management, Probst, pg 3-33

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My plan was to run the stock and ST chip with both in the out of the box configuration. It is not feasible to take the car off the dyno and drive it without incurring more costs and much more time. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts