Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Now offered at Gooding Scottsdale, lot 129.

The estimate seems highly understated to me, given Flaminia restoration costs and the soaring price of Aurelias. This car is strikingly handsome, although that odd pipe wrench in the tool kit is a bit alarming. I anticipate closer to six figures.

Good luck with the sale !

Don
Thanks for your kind words, Don- I'm hoping for the best!
Donald

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hammer price $87,500, all-in $96,250 versus a pre-sale of $65 - 80,000. A beautiful car, still a bargain for the buyer, but congratulations Donald !

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know it's in really great condition but isn't that a very very high price for a PF coupe?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm happy for you Donald and i was quiet until today, but this isn't a proper restore: Carini had "a tiny bit" of fantasy...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The fantasy is about the colours: Grigio Flemington and piano black (roof+trunk) on a PF coupè ? Never heard about this combination....

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
The fantasy is about the colours: Grigio Flemington and piano black (roof+trunk) on a PF coupè ? Never heard about this combination....
That 'fantasy' is mine, not Carini's. The colors were available at the time so a client might have chosen them if they so desired. They suit the shape well, and complimented the (original) color of the interior so I used them!
I much prefer the way the car looked in this scheme, more formal and elegant!
Donald

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm not discussing what you prefer, you could paint it in yellow fly with the american flag on the roof if you liked, but this doesn't mean to respect the originality, no offence.
The colours were available in the period 1965-70 and PF never made a two-tone coupè, so a client couldn't choose them. Lancia proposed the two-tone scheme for the sedan only (painted in the factory). If you want to tell me that somebody resprayed the car after the purchase because he liked it and you liked it too, i should agree with you, but the original colour of this coupè was the Argento Auteuil. You know it and we know it.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I'm not discussing what you prefer, you could paint it in yellow fly with the american flag on the roof if you liked, but this doesn't mean to respect the originality, no offence.
The colours were available in the period 1965-70 and PF never made a two-tone coupè, so a client couldn't choose them. Lancia proposed the two-tone scheme for the sedan only (painted in the factory). If you want to tell me that somebody resprayed the car after the purchase because he liked it and you liked it too, i should agree with you, but the original colour of this coupè was the Argento Auteuil. You know it and we know it.
I'm pleased that we're not discussing what I prefer(!) and I am also pleased that I have rather better taste than to have chosen Giallo Fly with either the American or Italian flag as the roof color... :)

I of course know that Argento Auteuil was the original color, as it was still that color when I purchased it in 2005 and retained that color until this restoration work began three years ago, a fact clearly stated in the auction catalog. Since these cars were quite expensive when new and often purchased by strong, powerful, successful individuals, it is unlikely that they would have been constrained by a list of 'available' colors. This is not a Fiat 600...

My personal feeling on color changes is that if the original color is important to the vehicle's history, i.e. it was photographed when new as a launch show car, period racer or concours winner, a good reason needs to be found to change it. Otherwise, the decision has to be made on the basis of if the color(s) are appropriate for the car and period. I think I made a good choice, if I say so myself!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
...it is unlikely that they would have been constrained by a list of 'available' colors. This is not a Fiat 600...

Otherwise, the decision has to be made on the basis of if the color(s) are appropriate for the car and period. I think I made a good choice, if I say so myself!
This is exactly the point where i can't agree with you, it's like if i would to paint an Aprilia sedan in metallic pale blue. It was an available colour? No.
It was an appropriate color for the car and the period? Maybe it was appropriate, but in the period list this colour wasn't.

The fact is that if Hoffman decided to repaint all the PF coupès in a two-tone scheme and this was attested by a document, i could say: ok Donald you chosen it because this was a US market car and not an Italian market car, but it did not happen.

Eventually the problem is: a member of an elegance concours jury 'ld put 0 point at the item "paint".

Sorry, i'm a taleban.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm pleased that we're not discussing what I prefer(!) and I am also pleased that I have rather better taste than to have chosen Giallo Fly with either the American or Italian flag as the roof color... :)

I of course know that Argento Auteuil was the original color, as it was still that color when I purchased it in 2005 and retained that color until this restoration work began three years ago, a fact clearly stated in the auction catalog. Since these cars were quite expensive when new and often purchased by strong, powerful, successful individuals, it is unlikely that they would have been constrained by a list of 'available' colors. This is not a Fiat 600...

My personal feeling on color changes is that if the original color is important to the vehicle's history, i.e. it was photographed when new as a launch show car, period racer or concours winner, a good reason needs to be found to change it. Otherwise, the decision has to be made on the basis of if the color(s) are appropriate for the car and period. I think I made a good choice, if I say so myself!
I think your reasoning is sound, and I'm (almost) as "originalista" as they come. It is (was?) YOUR car, and some colors just look better than others. I did the same with my car- showroom correct, but changed the color. Why? The color wasn't part of the intrinsic value of the car. I use this test: If it was 1958 and I was buying the car new, would I pick the original color? As long as it is a period-correct, I don't think you can go wrong. And even factory colors may not enhance a car. How many today REALLY prefer the Alfa red from the 50s/60s? How many bidders/buyers at auction say, hmmm that's a perfect, correct car, in a great period color, great price, but, I'll pass until another perfect, correct car like that comes along in the original factory color? Not many (none).:laugh:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
How many bidders/buyers at auction say, hmmm that's a perfect, correct car, in a great period color, great price, but, I'll pass until another perfect, correct car like that comes along in the original factory color? Not many (none).:laugh:
I have a Picasso, period blue, in my flat, but i repainted it in purple because i liked it more. Would you buy it? It's always a Picasso, but i can't auction it saying it's in a period colour, restored by an expert and certified by another expert. This isn't true and this is a fraud especially.

What's my point? If you restore a car uncorrectly today, tomorrow many inexpert buyers 'll buy it believing in its originality. This is just the first step, the second is the replica and the third is the totally fake. How you illustrate a fake Stanguellini, for example, built as like as the original, painted in the period colour, with a donor unmatching engine, etc. etc. ?
So don't blame the famous Mr. Claus when he try to sell here his work of manual art....

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I've bit my tongue long enough and please take this as tavern talk.....A production car built for masses not particularly "strong and powerful" ( I have read every word) is not a Picasso canvas. I don't think it was desecrated and if some think so, it won't be the last, and yet make way over the market and leave at least two people happy. There is an interpretation behind every set of eyes and in this case value was not compromised to at least one buyer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe this Flaminia PF Coupe has beaten the ww price record because of its non original bi color scheme ?!? I might paint my Flaminia PF Coupe in a rainbow color i might get 7 times the price of it !!!

81 - 100 of 114 Posts