Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Indeed I agree what a lovely looking Flaminia.

I just wanted to post that my brother has only recently acquired (last weekend) a Flaminia GT ? series 3, 2.8 V6, in grey with leather. Apparently it has around 80,000m on the clock. I am assuming it is the same shape as Zagato67's car?? I havnt seen it yet, but according to my brother it is one of 48 RHD models made. He mentioned that the engine is in pieces, that the car needs to be re-painted and the interior tidied up. Ditto the chrome needs to be re-done. Apparently it is straight, with virtually no visible rust.

I will take some pics of the car and post here for all to see. As I understand it, it is the only one in the State, and one of a handful at best in Australia. In buying the Flaminia, apparently a part of the deal is that he also will be buying from the seller a Gamma coupe which is wrecked but still has many good parts on it. He thinks a few of the Flaminia's parts may be in the Gamma's boot, plus with another friend who bought a Fulvia coupe and Zagato Fulvia in a stack of parts that came with these cars off the same seller. It should be yet another interesting project to sort out.

Now I must admit I know so little about classic Lancias, so any info/advice etc could be helpful to him. I mean where do you get parts for this model, say apart from Omicron in the UK?

BTW this is my 1000 post on the BB and I am talking Lancias :D, nothing like being interested in all sorts of Italian cars. Dave
Hi Dave,
Glad to hear about your brother's new car. The Touring GT coupes are wonderful. As for being in "the same condition" as my car is presently, look back in the thread and you will discover that my car was a perfectly presentable, terrific driver before I went nuts a year ago.
The first thing your brother should do is contact the very active Australian Lancia Registry- try first Peter Renou, the editor of their newsletter. He's at [email protected]

Good luck, let's see some photos!
Donald

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi Dave,
Glad to hear about your brother's new car. The Touring GT coupes are wonderful. As for being in "the same condition" as my car is presently, look back in the thread and you will discover that my car was a perfectly presentable, terrific driver before I went nuts a year ago.
The first thing your brother should do is contact the very active Australian Lancia Registry- try first Peter Renou, the editor of their newsletter. He's at [email protected]

Good luck, let's see some photos!
Donald
Hi Donald. Thanks for the reply, and yes I can imagine that they are something special. As I indicated he has only just collected the car, and told me about it last night, so no first hand observations as to its true condition.

Ditto, thanks also for the contact in Aus, I will let my brother know, as I am sure he will appreciate any help he can get to put it back together. He already has been in touch with an engineer he knows who is keen to tackle the engine rebuild for him. The engineer, has a Lamborghini Urraco and does all his own maintenance, and has had Alfas, Lancias, as well as heaps of Jags, MGs etc. He even built from scratch his own D Type to correct Specs and used to race it extensively.

But I am sure, given my brothers somewhat vast collection of cars that it will be in a condition, commensurate with most of his other ones.

I most definitely will post some pics as soon as I can get up to his place to take some. Dave

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I too am smitten by the non-metallic grey paired with those luscious tobacco/cognac/et al interiors. ...... I also like Bleu Lancia, but then again I am biased since my Fulvia is that color.

Arno Leskinen
Can someone post a picture of a Bleu Lancia car please. I'm starting to think of possible colors for my Flaminia, which has a beige/cognac interior, and even though the non metallic dark grey is certainly high up the list, I'd like to explore other options.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I know I am not too helpful here and I do love the dark blue, dark gray, anthracite metallic colors with non-black interiors.

But, the most stunning color combination I have ever seen on a Lancia (A Flaminia Touring Convertible to be exact) was a lighter olive color with pumpkin/ terra cotta-ish interior. Completely unusual, claimed the original color combination, should not work on paper, and absolutely and stunningly beautiful.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Henry,

The blu Lancia formulation changed somewhat over the years--sometimes a little lighter, sometimes a little darker. Your middle photo above (license AE 12 75) appears to be blu Lancia (and probably on the lighter end of the scale).

IMHO, blu Lancia is a great color for the car. But other than something bright and garish, like rosso corsa or bright yellow, it's hard to imagine a truly bad color for the lines of the car.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Henry,

I would strongly recommend that you correspond with "PG1964" (Paolo), who is the greatest connoisseur of Lancia I've ever encountered. I don't think he would mind my posting his nice photo of a blue Touring convertible.

If you are willing to diverge from the very limited Flaminia palette, BASF Diamont M4559A is a terrific dark blue used by the fellow who purchased my old Ferrari 330 GT (Another 330GT 2+2 returned from limbo - FerrariChat.com). After much consideration it's likely that another friend will use this color on his Flaminia Touring.

IMHO I think you would regret a non-metallic dark grey. Metallic colors really seem to work on Flaminias and are broadly correct. Non-metallic grey is more of a '40s and early '50s Italian color, indeed it was original to my '49 Maserati. Despite that, there is complete consensus among those involved with my car that going back to this would be a mistake.

Don

Can someone post a picture of a Bleu Lancia car please. I'm starting to think of possible colors for my Flaminia, which has a beige/cognac interior, and even though the non metallic dark grey is certainly high up the list, I'd like to explore other options.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Blu Lancia.

Henry, i post here two photos. I know the owners of these cars, they used the Lechler color, but as you see it's difficult to match very well a color from a photo, especially for the blue because it changes even under the natural light. I suggest you to use the original paint (Blu Lancia, Lechler 1332, Max meyer 12069) and not the color machine (tintometro).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I want a Flaminia Convertible - So gorgeous!

Thanks for the pics.

Mike

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
My take on these cars is that, like Alfa, Lancia was very particular (and invariably correct) about paint colors. I think tossing the factory paint catalogue away and coming up with one's own color is a mistake---commonly made, but still a mistake. There is a reason "Lancia Blue" is called that: it's a color that looks good on virtually every Lancia I've ever seen.

At some point in it's life some tastless fool painted my car "philistine red" when its original color (still on the dash) was a subtle, tasteful, non-metallic graphic gray. Every time I look at the car I have to wonder what was in that guy's mind to do that to such a car? I've decided he was some ignorant newbie who bought it when Flaminias, even Zagatos, were just cheap cars and wanted a little "my first red sports car" flash. The gray w/minimalist red interior was the perfect combination for the car. But, even if you'd told him, he probably wouldn't have listened. IMHO changing the color of wonderful old cars to red has gone past the gold-chain set and and is now the practice of cultural bottom-feeders.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Paolo thank you very much, that color is just magnificent and I believe my mind is made up. Now the one thing I need is an excellent body man since that color will not fogive any imperfection on the Touring alluminium body.

You mention the original paint by Lechler and Max Meyer. Can these actually be purchased, or is there a formula that goes with the code?

Where can I purchase the paint or get the codes? Where I am (Mexico) there are a lot of distributors for paint but I don't think I can purchase Lechler or Max Meyer

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Completely agree with Jim's assessment about sticking with the original Lancia palette.

I don't know about Mexico, but Lechler and Max Meyer seem to be virtually unobtainable in the US. I don't have the Glasurit codes from the mid-'60s, but the 1971 blu Lancia Glasurit code is LAN 216.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Paolo thank you very much, that color is just magnificent and I believe my mind is made up. Now the one thing I need is an excellent body man since that color will not fogive any imperfection on the Touring alluminium body.

You mention the original paint by Lechler and Max Meyer. Can these actually be purchased, or is there a formula that goes with the code?

Where can I purchase the paint or get the codes? Where I am (Mexico) there are a lot of distributors for paint but I don't think I can purchase Lechler or Max Meyer

Thanks again
Henry,

It is a challenge to convert Lechler and Max Meyer codes to paints that are more readily available in North America, but you can get the Glasurit codes for your car at Glasurit Classic Car Colors. I imagine that Glasurit is sold in Mexico, and it should be possible to convert a Glasurit code into the equivalent for PPG, Dupont, etc.

Your mind is made up on Blu Lancia ?

Don

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Oh guys, c'mon! A Flaminia would look awesome in Fly Yellow! Especially a PF coupe. Donald, consider a color change!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Henry,

It is a challenge to convert Lechler and Max Meyer codes to paints that are more readily available in North America, but you can get the Glasurit codes for your car at Glasurit Classic Car Colors. I imagine that Glasurit is sold in Mexico, and it should be possible to convert a Glasurit code into the equivalent for PPG, Dupont, etc.

Your mind is made up on Blu Lancia ?

Don
Thank you Don, I can probably get Glasurit or at worse I can bring it from the US.

My mind is made up for now, but I'm sure once the car is stripped and the point of no return approaches I'll revisit the decision. As I said before, the only problem with a dark color is that you need a near perfect surface< if I feel once the car is stripped that that might not be accomplished, I will search for a lighter color.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Henry, the Glasurit code for the Flaminia is 12069-Blu Lancia.

We know PPG was the main supplier of Pininfarina, you can ask here:
https://www.quickbase.com/up/beijf2zi4/g/rfc/ej/va/SanJuanDelRioMX-NA.html
In Europe PPG has an on-line free service for the color formulations:
https://buyat.ppg.com/colorweb/ppgeur/

I remember a retired Lancia worker (in the '60) told me a secret : the beauty and the profundity of the black color on the Aurelias were 6 coats of paint!

P.S. The Lechler/Maxmeyer codes i gave you are for vintage colors. In Italy they sell a special series in cans for the vintage cars.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Well, it's done...

Only two years later! Here are a few very fuzzy shots of the finished (almost) car a few days before being picked up today for the trip down to the Amelia Island Concours and one clearer one taken a few days prior.

If any of you plan to be there, look for the car (and me) on the field on Sunday, March 11th...

The colors ended up as Grigio Flemington Metallizzato e Nero, with Avorio wheels. I think it's pretty sharp- but much more formal-looking than the original Argento.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 114 Posts