Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to hear back from anyone that has bought one of the reproduction dashes.
Are they too glossy over over textured?
Is the one on the attached photo typical?
Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: vbisbest

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, boy.. that would not be a happy surprise.. I think I know where you are coming from
Jim G just got one for a customer and called me about how shiny and grainy it was compared to mine. Still have not seen his.
Hope to see photos from others.
No matter where you get one, they all seem to be made by the same company. Just trying to see if anything has changed over the years as a previous one he showed me was not that shiny or grainy as I recall

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Agreed. I wouldn't be to content about that finish. It looks like someone repaired an original cracked dash and then sprayed it with bedliner or a crinkle finish paint.

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
The dash is molded hard plastic. The one I just got from OKP looks like Pantera's.

I also hove one that I bought from someone here on the BB that bought it 3 or 4 years ago. Its a much closer match the the original grain and texture then the one just received.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If I needed one, after looking at that, I think I’d prefer the hard plastic dash caps. Apart from a color and texture that is closer to the original, they are also much cheaper and way less labour intensive than replacing the entire dashboard. I’ve seen one that was properly trimmed and installed and it actually didn’t look that bad! Can you imagine the dashboard glare off that baby?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recently returned a repro centre console that had a similar finish. "Patched up" the original and am far happier.

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Seems like an expensive crap shoot. Drilling out 7 new holes for gauges and lights ? I'd probably screw that up too. I'll keep my semi- precious cracked dash and let the chips fall. I've been toying with the idea of using one of the Flex Seal products... probably need a donor partial dash to experiment with it. Anybody tried it? The grinding and bondo solutions seem a little too risque.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The German reproduction is a poly foam material with slight sheen looks close enough. I am happy with looks but these reproductions are without the metal scaffold our originals are made of. So I am getting my original refurbished with “Just Dashes “ here in LA. They have solid reputation. Apparently they do not remove the foam but fill the cracks with bondo and vacuum wrap with Coachman vinyl that comes close to original Italian vinyl these came with.
Cost 3 times the reproduction types and wait 4 months. But once you are done, it’s done!

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to come up with a product like the vinyl they wrap cars in applied with a heat gun as a solution. It's probably in some skunk works as we speak.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The one I bought for S2 spider from Mr Fiat is from Germany and looks much better.
How long ago did you buy the one from Mr. Fiat?

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
Here are the dash pictures side by side. The gloosy heacy textured one is the one that just came in. The satin light textured one is about 4 or 5 years old. Both made by the same company.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
Sent an email to OKP. Will see what they say.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts