Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have an 86 spider Veloce. When I take a voltage reading at the windshield washer pump connector, unplugged, using my power probe, I'll get 11.8V. When I connect the washer pump and back probe the connector, I get .1V- 0V.

When I bought the car in '13, I was troubleshooting a headlight issue and changed out the multifunction switch thinking my old one was causing the issue. It wasn't, it was just a fuse. I left the new/used assembly in situ though. I do remember finding out that the old washer pump was squalling at that time, and the washer hose was clamped shut. I'm pretty sure that was before the 2nd switch install.

Do you guys think that the problem is in the 2nd multifunction switch not letting juice flow under load? What else could cause this? I still have the original unit and am thinking of putting it back in, but not crazy about the job.

Thanks,
John

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
I had a dodgy S4 washer that was fixed by using a little contact cleaner on the appropriate part of the multifunction switch. Be careful with application as you don't want to flush the grease out of the switch, which will make actuation notchy (ask me how I know this.)

But first I'd suggest running 12V directly to the pump to see if it even works.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
I guess first question would be, what is the problem?....No windscreen washer?
Second would be (as Gubi says above) apply 12v direct to motor to see if it works, if not bad motor.

so the connector measures 11,8V...how did you measure this?
did you have someone pull the wipe/wash stalk to complete the circuit?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha, I knew you guys would help out if I reposted here!
Yes, the washer pumps (both new and old) work when I apply 12V using my power probe. Handy tool, this.
I get 12v at the harness connector when uplugged from the pump, as measured by the power probe. My son was yanked from his room to pull back the wiper stalk.
When I plug the pump in to the harness connector, nothing happens. I back probe the connector and I see 0V-.1V. My electrical theory was shaky years ago when I went through school; I have no idea now what could be causing this LOL. I just don't want to let the smoke out.

John

BTW I forgot to mention- ground is perfect, cleaned that first.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
My son was yanked from his room to pull back the wiper stalk.
ha! ha!:)

my guess is without load the wiper stalk is supplying voltage, but when it has to power up something (although admittedly the washer motor is a pretty small load drain) it is failing.
Have you wiggled the wiper stalk arm to see if it is a loose contact?
Do wipers themselves work? in all speeds (slow and dead slow;)) as normal, with intermittant?

Eric did a nice write up on the column switch
Combination Switch clean/lube

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I thought that wiggling the wiper arm would cause Voltage jumps, but not. The wipers themselves work just fine; as long as the windows are wet! Motors like to run to keep from getting gummed up, but I try not to drive it in the rain. I did last November and the wipers started slow then worked fine.

I'm solving all of the issues my Alfa has, and the windshield squirter is the last one. Getting the license plate lights working (and rh running light) was the last project. That was fun! I found that someone had put a different trunk light switch in for the upper, with different wire colors, and mis- wired the rest of the lights. And that two fuses in the fuse box are swapped- 7 and 8 IIRC. Projects!

Going out to mess with this now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts