Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My name is Jonathan and I'm the owner of Group 4 Wheels. We arrived on the market last year and our first wheel was the a replica of the Cromodora CD68 which was originally produced for the Fiat 131 Abarth.

Our first wheel for 2011 is a replica of the Cromodora used on the Alfa Romeo Montreal.

We appreciate the safety ramifications of using an old magnesium wheel and tyre supply problems that a 14" wheel brings, this is why we have teamed up once again with Compomotive Wheels here in the UK and have commissioned a replica 15" version. All other dimensions, ET and PCD remain as original.

This will be a small run of around 60 wheels with production starting mid March with a completion date end of March.

Normal retail price for these wheels will be £300 each, £1200 per set of 4 although at present I'm looking to "put something together" which will benefit you the customer. Once I have sorted a deal for you guys I will be taking payment which secures your wheels, remember this will be a limited production run.

I've included a couple of CAD drawings one of which clearly shows the new 15" against the original 14", let me know your thoughts. Can you see something that's not quite right?

My own personnel love of Alfa's stems from when my brother served his apprenteship with Alfa Romeo UK some 30 years ago when they were situated at Staples Corner in London.......I actually blame him for my car sickness in general!

Jonathan Sage

group4wheels.com

Attachments

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
it would be nice to bump them up to 7 or 7.5 inches whelther they are 14 or 15 inches

many thanks for the heads up.

db

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it would be nice to bump them up to 7 or 7.5 inches whelther they are 14 or 15 inches

many thanks for the heads up.

db
This can be done but $$$ or in my case £££ dictates only 1 width gets made as each different width would require a complete new die.

It's up to you guys.....let me know.

Jonathan

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I'm interested... I would consider a 15 x 6.5 or 15 x 7 size (no larger), but before making a commitment, I would like to know the weight of the wheel that will be offered. (Weight is a critical factor for me.)

Best regards,

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
Jonathan:

Wow, an amazing project! I would recommend that you market them to all owners of 105/115 Alfas - not just the Montreal community. I believe the lug circle and offset requirements are the same.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The original Campagnolo turbinas had an ET25 offset, and I hope these will be the same. Not sure how that will play out on other 105/115 cars.

The Montreal can take really big wheels, but old and brittle Burman steering boxes and a less-than-strong reinforcement around the chassis members is incompatible with wide, low profile tyres. Many Montreals have this problem.

Note to group4wheels: as detailed on Bruce Taylor's alfamontreal.info, the Montreal wheels came in two slightly different designs of which yours is the later. Not a big issue though. They look exactly the same from two meters away ;)

Have you considered joining the Alfa Montreal Yahoo Group to advertise? Go here and sign up: alfamontreal : Alfa Romeo Montreal. There was an initiative last year to have replicas made, but I'm not sure who the supplier was. You, perhaps?

·
Administrator
13,278 Posts
Why replicate the ugliest wheel ever put on an Alfa Romeo ... ? :eek: :confused:

I used to have these wheels on my 76' Sud and they are just "plain Jane" boring and I would never run them on a 105 series unless you wanted your car to look like a period Volvo.

A Montreal with a T33 type wheel would look awesome and far better than this old man design :p

And yes I like originality ... but this wheel design is not worth saving/replicating.
Pete

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why replicate the ugliest wheel ever put on an Alfa Romeo ... ? :eek: :confused:

I used to have these wheels on my 76' Sud and they are just "plain Jane" boring and I would never run them on a 105 series unless you wanted your car to look like a period Volvo.

A Montreal with a T33 type wheel would look awesome and far better than this old man design :p

And yes I like originality ... but this wheel design is not worth saving/replicating.
Pete
I agree with you they are really ugly wheels and don't give the Montreal the look that it should have from the beginning like the Bob core racing car :)

So i will go for the wheels that Alfaholics 8×15? GTAm Wheel | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories have they are very close to T33 wheels.

/Reine
Sweden
Owner of a 72 Alfa Montreal

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Reine: how about that distributor you were going to sell me? Or have you been busy overhauling that velvety V8 lately? ;) A few oljakronor from me should go towards Alfaholics wheels of course ...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Reine: how about that distributor you were going to sell me? Or have you been busy overhauling that velvety V8 lately? ;) A few oljakronor from me should go towards Alfaholics wheels of course ...
Hi TorW!

Sorry dont know what distributor you are talking about i think you talking to the wrong guy about that !!!!

Never spoken too you before on this forum i only have owned my Montreal in 2 years and have no extra spare distributor what i know.

ThorW is there more people from sweden called Reine that have a Montreal ?

The only thing that is correct are that i am just finished my overhauling of my engine.

·
Administrator
13,278 Posts
I agree with you they are really ugly wheels and don't give the Montreal the look that it should have from the beginning like the Bob core racing car :)

So i will go for the wheels that Alfaholics 8×15? GTAm Wheel | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories have they are very close to T33 wheels.

/Reine
Sweden
Owner of a 72 Alfa Montreal
Using Microsoft Paint I've tried to show what those wheels would look like, and I think they are a massive improvement and really suit the rest of the design far better than the original wheel:

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Using Microsoft Paint I've tried to show what those wheels would look like, and I think they are a massive improvement and really suit the rest of the design far better than the original wheel:

Pete
Pete that exactly the look i like :)

But the car had to bee lower :)

/Reine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't want to put anyones fire out but I've been informed by another owner that he's been told by Alfaholics that these wheels won't fit. Hopefully he'll sign up and post that for himself because it makes me sound like "sour grapes".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't want to put anyones fire out but I've been informed by another owner that he's been told by Alfaholics that these wheels won't fit. Hopefully he'll sign up and post that for himself because it makes me sound like "sour grapes".
I was mailing alfaholics last year and they told "me" that they maybe will fit the Montreal because of the wider wheel arches but i dont have that confirmed either and i haven´t seen any Montreal owner tested the wheels yet.

But i whit the right tire it should fit maybe i have to use a Fender Roller Tool to make it fit. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
Just from looking at the photo that PSk posted, the offset of the Alfaholics T33 wheel looks much greater than that of the stock Montreal wheel:

The photos on the Alfaholics site show the replica T33 wheels mounted on a GTA with massive flares. My guess is that they would extend quite a ways outside of the stock Montreal bodywork.

Too bad - I have to agree that visually these wheels do look good on the Montreal.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts

I think the Turbina designs look rather wonderful on period Alfas, Pete. To my admittedly aging eyes the T33 wheels on a Montreal look a bit too "boy-racerish" for a street car. I also think the Turbina styles are especially fitting for GTV's (less so with Spiders). Here's an interesting photo of a GTV with 6.5 Montreal Turbinas fitted.

These new 15x6.5 are just about perfect.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts