Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove up today with a full trunk of groceries and the cable snapped opening it up. Unscrewing the panel, I saw that it let loose at the lever by the door and was able to open it up pulling the raw end with pliers. Gonna order a new one. Anyone ever replaced one before? Any tricks? Ciao, John.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Lots of threads on the BB about this one, especially if you can't open the trunk at all!:eek: Ask me, I know.:p

You got lucky and can still open the trunk.

I taped my new cable to the end of the old one and pulled it through.

Simple as that.

You might want to set up an emergency cable, while your in there.

Good Luck,

Vin

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'll back up the tape idea - make sure the cables are both grease free, and really use a good tape to connect them, that doesn't create much of a profile. I did this with my gas tank cable and was surprised that it was as easy as it was. I was expect the usual "oh crud" factor. Worked like a charm. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, sounds like it should go smoothly. And I'll look up the back-up e-cable idea. Cheers.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I drilled a little hole on the left side behind the rear number plate (and painted it so it doesn't rust!) and ran a line through that attached to the trunk release mechanism. Now if cable snaps i just unscrew (Edit: I know, I know, the screwdriver is probably in the trunk:)) the rear plate and pull the line which I taped to the body behind the plate. Easy and out of sight.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Check to be sure it's not the plastic lever itself that broke. Some have replaced the entire affair with a universal electric release.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the cable for sure - it snapped right at where it joins the cable end that screws onto the lever, but good point, thanks. Yeah I saw the license plate idea in the sticky tech. I like that one better then another one at the filler neck. Just because I'm paranoid that someone will see it and think "I bet this is a backup that releases the trunk" while they're siphoning my gas! (Not that anyone has ever siphoned my gas or anything)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I know the feeling, I drove out to see Vintre the other day and we had some things to exchange. I pulled the trunk release and bam! there went the cable. Funny it was on my list of things to ask him. I had noticed the last few times I pulled it, it was making a crackly noise (probably already broken strains scraping in the plastic lever assembly). Anyways, hope to be changing mine this weekend by taping to new to the old and pulling it per Vintre's suggestions.

Also per his suggestion, a trunk back up release and hood release. He said and others on the forum too - when the hood release cable goes, the only way of getting the hood open is using a crowbar and prying it open.:eek:

Mike

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There is no need to drill a hole in the back. One exists under the car. At least one post described using a broomstick or some such from inside the car after removing the rear carpet drape

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Removing the back carpet and access panel is a great idea - never thought of that, mind you part of the cable was still exposed so the situation never called for desperate thinking. I actually found a small hole (about 1/2") already in the trunk floor directly under the latch and plan to run an emergency release cable there. It appears that hole has a small coin size cap and small screw in. Not sure what for, unless that was the factories back up plan. But it would take a little fiddling with the pop the latch, but with the trunk open, can be used to run a back-up cable.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I'd highly recommend that you install a secondary hood opener as well. Just a simple cable that runs to the left wheel well. If you think trying to get into a trunk with a broken cable is bad, try getting the hood open when the main cable breaks.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Its already on the very short list of things to do. When I pull the broken trunk calbe out, its going to be used to make emergency cables for the trunk and hood. Thanks.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I actually found a small hole (about 1/2") already in the trunk floor directly under the latch....Not sure what for, unless that was the factories back up plan
Yup, that would be the factory emergency get it open hole.
The idea is you use a long screwdriver and go up through the hole to trip the latch.

Looks and sounds real easy in the manuals that describe it, but ain't anywhere near simple or quick as you're trying to get the tip of a screwdriver on the lever side of a metal arm that's about the same size as the screwdriver tip and press it in X direction, while blind.

·
Registered
99 Posts
While you're in there, Change the "return" spring on the opener latch in the trunk also. It's much stronger than it needs to be and can lead to premature breakage....

Steve, 84 Spider

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
There is no need to drill a hole in the back. One exists under the car. At least one post described using a broomstick or some such from inside the car after removing the rear carpet drape
true there is, but in any case you need to pull the lever to the left. Pulling straight down wouldn't do anything and have you tried getting under there to find that hole, in winter, with snow and rain and no light;)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
You are correct. My plan was to drill a small hole just below the one that the original cable goes through (which is to the left) and run a cable through it and run it down through that hole, leaving about a 2-3" looped end cable there.

You drive your car in the snow and rain? I want to say shame on you but will bite my tongue. Mine sleeps in the garage and only comes out to play when its nice and will go into hibernation sometime in November until April.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
yep, although it sits in a garage too when at home! I have a second set of original alloys with winter tires mounted (winter tires are law here, maybe in Canada too?) and drive it in winter sometimes, once I have put the hardtop on that is:)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Strange, mine stays in the garage most of the summer here in Phoenix. Even in a convertible 116F is too bloody hot to go motoring in, but the winters are pretty delightful most of the time. Once I get the AC fixed I may put the hardtop back on and then go out in the noon day sun.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just had to get in here. When I bought my 86, the PO gave me a key to open the door. An old plastic credit card cut in half. He showed me how it works, and even I had no problem. When I arrived home I couldn't find his half so I cut my own, and it worked like a charm. Replaced the cable a month ago with no problems either way.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
true there is, but in any case you need to pull the lever to the left. Pulling straight down wouldn't do anything and have you tried getting under there to find that hole, in winter, with snow and rain and no light;)
No, but I have experienced the shear ecstasy of a broken hood cable.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts