Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get in too deep and remove the SPICA filter canister, I have some questions:

1. How many bolts hold the starter motor to the engine and are they all accessible from above?

2. I will be replacing the faulty Paris-Rhone unit with a Bosch starter (provided I can find one). Will the existing hardware and connectors from the former fit the latter?

3. What is the centering bolt?

4. I might as well change the air filters in the canister, the main fuel filter, tank filter and the oil filter on the injection pump while the canister is off. My manual says nothing about the small oil filter. Can some one shed some light on this process? Where exactly is this filter located?

Any other general suggestions would help.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
1. You may have the "high horsepower starter". I think it appeared with the 2L engines. There are three bolts attaching it to the bell housing, plus an additional bracket at the front of the starter that connects to the motor mount. This has two small bolts on studs on the starter, and a big bolt that runs through the motor mount edges. Everything is accessible from above. BTW, if you install a high horsepower starter without the motor mount bracket, you risk breaking the bell housing from the high torque. The three original bolts can be used with a gear drive starter or an original style.

2. If you are not a stickler for originality, consider one of the smaller, gear drive, starters similar to what is used on the S4 Spiders. I got mine from Performatek Performatek - Home . It really is an improvement in cranking & starting, and worth the money. Much lighter, less current draw, and easier to install since the motor mount bracket is not needed.

3. The centering bolt is mandatory to assure correct alignment of the starter to the flywheel teeth. It has smooth, unthreaded, shank that is a close fit in a matching hole in the bell housing.

4. The SPICA filter is in the base of the fuel injection pump, and can be installed from above. Use 'Search' here on the BB to find additional information

Before I get in too deep and remove the SPICA filter canister, I have some questions:

1. How many bolts hold the starter motor to the engine and are they all accessible from above?

2. I will be replacing the faulty Paris-Rhone unit with a Bosch starter (provided I can find one). Will the existing hardware and connectors from the former fit the latter?

3. What is the centering bolt?

4. I might as well change the air filters in the canister, the main fuel filter, tank filter and the oil filter on the injection pump while the canister is off. My manual says nothing about the small oil filter. Can some one shed some light on this process? Where exactly is this filter located?

Any other general suggestions would help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Conedriver:

Thank you sooooo much! I just ordered the Performatek starter and will get all of the filters at Centerline which is easy driving distance for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts