Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drilled out the aluminum plugs in the body of the block on my 1750 in order to clean out any crud. I also removed the plug at the front cover interface (this one was threaded). My question is: Should I tap these holes and put a threaded plug in it or just press plugs as was the original?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If it t'was me, I think I'd go the threaded route on all of them just because.
I'm with Tifosi on this one... In fact, once in while (or sometimes more often) an oil plug can and will fall off. One of the solutions to prevent this in the future is to tap the holes and fit a threaded plug...

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I drilled out my block and put in 1/8" pipe plugs. Get a 1/8" pipe tap and do the holes and then just screw in the 1/8" pipe plugs till they are tight. Next time you do the block over, just unscrew them and clean it out. Just be sure you go in straight with the tap and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
[
QUOTE=Tifosi;430387]No issue with the nitriding then?[/QUOTE
]

The earlier, smaller displacement (1300,1600,1750) motor's cranks were not nitrided and so only rearely experienced the problem of plugs falling out. The nitrided 2L cranks were so hard that it was difficult to peen the plugs in place and so lots of 2L motors lost their crank plugs.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Not in the block there isn't a problem with nitriding, but if you are doing a crankshaft, that is different.

Block...... crank...... they all fit together :)
(yet again I'm a victim of selective reading comprehension LOL)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts