Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the one( oh yes,84 spider) that, well it's on the passenger side, lower, the rubber is going away, but with the motor in the car, you cannot take out the throttle pedal linkage, i am thinking about ripping it out, whats left of it, and useing a bolt, and a threaded cevis pin to sort this out, i looked around, they don't make this part anymore..

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,940 Posts
The rubber bushing is still available, I think. At least, Centerline lists it as CP311

Centerline Products: CP311 Clutch Cable Linkage Bushing

While it's a painful job I'm pretty sure it's possible to remove the firewall crank without engine removal. You'll need to pull it out to replace the existing bushing whatever you do.

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
well i tryed to pull out the throttle linkage( bosch) you can't , and i shed blood on this.. so i came up with a solution.... pull out the metal parts, go to ace hardware, get 2 fender washers, this way they will cover the throttle linkage , and bolt back togeather.. blue lock tite, to make shure won't rattle loose, it's on the car now, very solid.. pedal feels more percise now..update. file it ( the spacer) to 15 mm from 16.65 mm it will fit better.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Without rubber in there to allow for a bit of deflection I think you'll find there's gonna be problems when the engine is loaded and tilted over on the mounts.

Instead of a bit of flex, all stress will be transferred directly to the rods, rod ends, ball fittings they pop onto and the bellcrank itself.
If you've got the plastic rod ends currently, order replacements now because you're more than likely going to need them before too long. (get the metal ones Centerline sells onnaconna they have a through~hole that allows installing a lock pin so they can't pop off under stress)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,940 Posts
That's a reasonable fix, Bianchi, but I'm pretty certain the bushing can be pressed out. I know I bought the part and had mine replaced (made a big difference).

You'll either need a press or the old burn the rubber and hacksaw the ring trick I'm sure, but it's just pressed in there.

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with 2 'ball joints' and paul spreull motor mounts..i really do not think my motor moves around all that much, and the 2 'ball joints' should be enough for any movement..and there is only 1 point in the system that conects to the motor, at the bell crank, and at that point i have a sperical bearing in that location.. that gives me an idea,Thanks tifosi.. i will replace the the end of linkage part i just made with a sperical bearing( all teflon lined of course) , this way i will have enough movement in the linkage, but it will not bind or pop off,

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gubi.. i could not get the linkage out of the car.. tryed for a while to get it out, shed some blood doing it, so a hack saw to but the outer shell is quite out of the question , and as for a flame to burn the rubber out.. with the linkage in the car.. fuel lines are to close, and i could take them off the fuel rail, but still cloud not get the linkage out.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Spherical bearings might bring it, but there's still gonna be some stress transmitted regardless of the mounts. (take a drive with the hood off mabe so you can see it under load as opposed to just revving it when static)

Now granted it's not like there will be a huge amount of force applied, but over time it could start to effect things such as those described previously, or even perhaps putting a bit of a whipping on the throttle body itself as things try to mabe push it open or pull it closed further than it should or the stops would normally allow. It only takes a smidge of 'extra' to get things working against each other.

Now if it were cable linkage from firewall to bellcrank.......

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just took out the linkage arm.. the part that goe's from the pedal linkage to the bellcrank, the is quite a bit of play in the plastic joints, about 3 mm of play.,on each side for a total of ...( gasp) 6 mm of slop, yuck.... so i guess i will be replacing the linkage points with sperical bearing in the morning..

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tifosi// i like the centreline parts.. but that damned shipping charge cost as much as the parts.. why can' they just toss those things in a small padded envolope and mail it too me, cost of shipping like that a buck or so.. not 5 plus dollors..

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
at the moment i cannot find any sperical bearings.. monday? but here is a photo instalded..

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,940 Posts
Er, isn't the ball end supposed to point the other way?

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...no......at least thats the way i pulled it off the car, ball pointed to the motor..

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,940 Posts
Yep, you're right. Brain freeze here.

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's o.k. grasshopper :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts