Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I’m going to tackle the dead blower motor in my 1990 Spider. While I have the dash out, what else should I replace?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
check cowl drain hoses
transmission rubber bellows under the gear stick
clean any ground connection you see

But, have you tried getting it to free up by sticking your fingers through the heater box side vents and giving it a helping hand whilst the switch is on? Is it seized solid?
I freed mine up with my fingers and then sprayed (with a long extension) in thru the vents down to the motor bearing (that's what seizes) with WD and got it working again...been working for 10 years now.
I use the fan every now and then even in hot summers to keep it like that.

·
Premium Member
1991 Spider Veloce, 2017 Giulia Ti
114 Posts
In the midst of all that right now, less the blower motor. Trans bellows was completely shot, replacement coming via FedEx today. Mine didn’t seem to be original, shape is wrong based upon shop manual and parts catalogs.

Also, Maybe you guys know this but Classic Alfa has a metal body replacement heater control valve only slightly more costly the plastic body. Installed that yesterday along with new heater hoses.

Ignore the linked hose, I took the pic before I pulled it back through the firewall grommet.
And the replacement cowl drains are on the way too. They were not leaking but badly cracked.
And just FYI, shipping from the Classic Alfa in UK has been wicked fast! Literally next or 2nd day.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
In the midst of all that right now, less the blower motor. Trans bellows was completely shot, replacement coming via FedEx today. Mine didn’t seem to be original, shape is wrong based upon shop manual and parts catalogs.
View attachment 1625666
was there only the one rubber bellows on yours?

there are 2 bellows.
The first is shaped and a tight fit over the bottom section of the gearstick that clamps round the tranny neck itself (that actually does all the sealing in of oil); the second then fits on that big ol' steel hard hat thingy....that stops noise and fumes into the car.
boots.jpg

...then of course the leather shift boot.

If you drive w/o those rubber boots in place the noise in incredible! Quite amazing what they do.

·
Premium Member
1991 Spider Veloce, 2017 Giulia Ti
114 Posts
I do have 2, as you say, the oil seal boot , which is the one in my previous post pic, then a second rubber one that seems in great shape (the one that clamps to the metal “hard hat”). Then the interior leather trim boot.

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
Assuming the Series 4 heater is the same as the Series 3's, consider drilling a couple of drain holes in the very bottom. Any water that gets into the unit ends up there - and I suspect that is why the blower motor's bearing rusts & seizes. See: S3 heater fan R/R & drain holes

Also, I added a piece of screen at the air intake at the very top to prevent rodents from storing their stash in there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check cowl drain hoses
transmission rubber bellows under the gear stick
clean any ground connection you see

But, have you tried getting it to free up by sticking your fingers through the heater box side vents and giving it a helping hand whilst the switch is on? Is it seized solid?
I freed mine up with my fingers and then sprayed (with a long extension) in thru the vents down to the motor bearing (that's what seizes) with WD and got it working again...been working for 10 years now.
I use the fan every now and then even in hot summers to keep it like that.
Thanks everyone, I had not thought of the transmission bellows but was considering heater hoses, valve, and cowl drain. I also am curious to see what the heater core looks like. Had the leather shift boot done with the interior a couple of years ago.

I will the see if it moves with my fingers - It’s a US Graduate with the dealer ad on AC and everything is very crowded down there.

Thanks again for the input! I appreciate everyone’s thoughts!
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts