Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to replace the oil seals on both stub axles in the transaxle on the GTV6 project. I will have to press the bearing and bearing retaining ring off of the stub axle shaft. The only way that I can see to do this on a press (which I have) is to support the bearing housing on 2 of the 4 ears (on the 2 sides where the brake rotor mounting ring is notched out) and act on the splined end of the stub axle with the press ram. Since the bearing housing is aluminum, and I am supporting it on 2 relatively small ears, and I don't know how tight is the press fit of the bearing retaining ring on the stub axle shaft, I am worried about cracking or breaking the ears when I try to do this.
I am interested in hearing from those that have performed this operation any suggestions you may have for me.
If you have not actually performed this operation .....need I say more?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I’ve done this, but it was quite a while ago.

I ran into exactly the problem you are worried about. I couldn’t find a good way to support the retainer and ended up breaking it while trying to press it off the shaft. Luckily I had a few extras and had better luck the next time.

After I got mine put back together I believe I read that the retainer is supposed to be warmed and the shaft cooled during assembly so maybe if you could do that during disassembly that might help a bit.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Your mileage may very. My opinion below.

DO NOT use the alloy 4 eared piece to try to press these apart it will break every time. You need a set of clampable press rings or a thin edged bearing splitter to support directly on the press ring and then press on the splined axle shaft to remove the press ring, and then use a thin edged bearing splitter to support the 4 eared alloy flange to press the axle through the bearing once the press ring is removed. I use a large offset brake rotor as a press surface under the parts.

The press rings are not easy to remove in my experience (I have done many of them) and require a lot of force to remove. The bearing itself is usually not too tight of a press over the axle shaft compared to the press ring. After pressing off the press ring and then pressing the stub axle through the bearing/seal/retainer flange, you can then knock out bearing and seal from the alloy flange.

In a transaxle rebuild and reseal, servicing these seals are my least favorite part of the entire process. It's time consuming and requires a lot of fiddling with press rings or a bearing splitter and adjusting the press height. Also, do yourself a favor and buy an extra stub axle seal: they are difficult to install properly (read: easy to damage). A properly sized set of press tools I consider as necessary; large sockets deform these delicate seals, and then they leak. Suggest a tool set like so: Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set 10 Pc.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swimmy, good info. Thanks.
I'm glad that I am not in a hurry to get this done, as I am going to have to do some thinking on this.
The biggest problem is that there is less than 3 mm between the end of the bearing outer race and the captivating ring. So whatever I use to support the ring in the press will have to be less than 3 mm thick where it contacts the ring. I am going to assume that a special Alfa tool exists to perform this operation, but I have not seen a picture or drawing of it. Often seeing the Alfa tool will give one a good idea of how to construct a special tool from commonly available parts.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Interesting chisel method. I've not tried that before.

Maybe next week I could supply a photo of how I handle this job with the press. At least for removal.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nothing wrong with the advice you gave Rob. Done it that way plenty of times when I have been on my own. With the addition of some heat from the oxy.
If you have a spare set of hands the old hammer and chisel is quick and easy. Same for 105 rear axles.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swim, where did the split press ring, that you posted the picture of, come from?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Tom,
I just googled "bearing splitter" and picked an image that was nice :)
They're available from many vendors at many price points.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received the bearing splitter ($20 from an Amazon seller) and used it with my hydraulic press. No dramas in removing the press ring. The splitter is designed to be used either with a press or a puller. The ring was on pretty tight; recommend a press rather than a puller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts