Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have people done this before? replaced there plastic window on the convertible top?

havent seen any previous posts about it.

thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,452 Posts
There's been a bunch of discussions on that, so try searching again. The consensus seems to be that it's entirely possible to do but requires removal of the top to do properly, in which case I figure you might as well just buy a new top unless the yours is almost new.

If it's cracked you're boned, but if it's just scratched or white you can bring it back to new with some plastic polish and a lot of elbow grease (or preferably, a good power buffer and someone to hold a padded support plate on the inside surface while you buff). Someone on here had a rear window that was completely oxidized to opaque white - like, absolute toast, I would have thought - and managed to buff it back to darned near new.

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
478 Posts
I once tried to re-sew mine due to the threads rotting from UV. What a PTA!
I took the car to an upholstery shop and they said they would have to take the top off, re-stitch the window and then re-install the top.
I ended up buying and installing a new top.

Jim
78 Spider

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks - that sounds like the way to go.

i will just try and buff the scratches out.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
resewn rear window

a couple of years ago the stitching on the rear window started to give out, along with a couple other places. I spoke to a local upholstery place. $100, I took the roof off, they stitched the rear window back in, they stitched over the loosening seams and moved the front bow wrap into the proper position correcting a defect since new. Putting it back in was way easier than putting it in the first time.

Wayne

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,452 Posts
thanks - that sounds like the way to go.

i will just try and buff the scratches out.
If it's just scratched, then that's pretty easy. Get a good foam or microfiber polishing pad and try by hand first. I've found different polishing brands work well for different applications, so I sometimes try a couple. Meguiar's PlastX is pretty easy to find and works okay. Novus #2 is very good stuff but harder to find.

I usually follow up with Meguiar's #10 Clear Plastic Polish (it's not a polish per se as it doesn't remove scratches like the other two, but it does a good job of minimizing haze when you're done).

Whatever you use, it's always smart to test it in a small area first.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If you are unsure about how to remove scratches, I too would recommend Meguiar's products. They are completely safe to use, and they will remove fine scratches. First use the Mirror Glaze® Clear Plastic Cleaner #17, followed by the Mirror Glaze® Clear Plastic Polish #10. Click here for the link.

Best regards,

·
Registered
225 Posts
I replaced the rear window some time ago in my Spider.The plexi-glass that comes with the roof is of inferior quality(imported from Italy).I looked around and found that BMW has the best quality for replacement.It is important to remove the roof before removing the window,reason being that the canvas will stretch and the plexi-glass won't fit properly,it is not a big job to remove the roof.I did it myself.The stitching was done at an upholstery shop.The whole job cost me 75% less than a new roof with an inferior window.After 2 years,no scratches and it looks new.A very important tip to all classic Spider owners;when folding the roof down place a soft towel between the plexi-glass fold.

·
Registered
520 Posts
garry, i agree that its easy to take off the top with the frame. (i actually own a spare frame for this purpose) its about 2 hours of work.

but your upholstery guy does it on the frame? is that what you mean?

have any info on this BMW clear plastic? a part number? how did u get it? is it for their Z-series roadsters?

(on that note. holy crap have you guys seen the very latest BMW Z design with the boat-tail?? they finally nailed the design. its timeless and gorgeous)

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
:eek: I thought I was the most complusive picky Alfa owner. I think I have to take a back seat to you and Rory! :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
:eek: I thought I was the most complusive picky Alfa owner. I think I have to take a back seat to you and Rory! :p
:D:D:D:D
Not very picky,just believe that if you are going to keep a car for a long time why not invest a little bit more.;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
garry, i agree that its easy to take off the top with the frame. (i actually own a spare frame for this purpose) its about 2 hours of work.

but your upholstery guy does it on the frame? is that what you mean?

have any info on this BMW clear plastic? a part number? how did u get it? is it for their Z-series roadsters?

(on that note. holy crap have you guys seen the very latest BMW Z design with the boat-tail?? they finally nailed the design. its timeless and gorgeous)
Stitching is done off the frame,the plexi-glass window is from a E30 series BMW.If you leave it on the frame after removing the plexi-glass the cavity will distort.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,452 Posts
I'm sure the quality of the rear window depends on the brand of the top. I'd rather buy one that already had a high-quality window heat-sealed in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm sure the quality of the rear window depends on the brand of the top. I'd rather buy one that already had a high-quality window heat-sealed in.
I have had 3 "quality" tops in the past 15 years owning my Spider.After looking at various Spiders with different quality tops I came to the conclusion that they all have one thing in common,bad quality plexi-glass.The BMW plexi-glass is not as thin as the common Alfa Romeo's and is much more scratch and fade resistant.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I've never had any luck trying to clear up a faded convert top rear window - maybe because I've never used a power buffer on it. On another vehicle I have that's a convert., I think I priced it out once and for what they wanted to replace just the window, it made more sense to put another top on. Do you guys use the equivilent of this pillow? Oh and another thing, I would try doing the top yourself, :eek:I tried that once and it was a diaster. Some things you just "have to bit the bullet on":mad:

CONVERTIBLE TOP WINDOW PILLOW Corvette Parts & Accessories by Zip Corvette

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
There are tops with high quality plastic windows. Also, if one cleans the window and applies a plastic protectant, the window will remain clear for years. I finally had to start changing the tops on the Spiders simply because the top material was beginning to stretch at the seams, etc. One was vinyl, the other ones were canvas. All lasted over 20 years.

One of the problems with the convertible top window is that it could get creased badly when the top is lowered. The pillow is used to prevent that. There is also another version of the pillow that the Mazda guys use. It is a piece of round foam. The thicker the plastic, the more susceptible it is to creasing. I find that if you stretch the back window, by pulling on the sides of the canvas as you are lowering the top, it goes down without any creases, and you don't need anything to keep the shape wrinkle free.

Best regards,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts