Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out the old and slightly stretched out factory springs on my super for a new set manufactured by a shop in Australia. They are almost twice as long as the originals providing more coils. This should spread out the stress and prolong the life of the springs. The trunk lid now stays fully open and has smooth action without an over abundance of lift. I recommend these springs to anyone with a saggy boot lid. Changing the springs can be a challenge without a homemade tool such as the one I used based on the method the shop developed.
CLASSIC CARBS

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
I recommend while in the neighborhood, replacing they hinge pivot rivet with a bolt as recommended. I had one fail on me on a long trip recently and it was a PIA with the lid pulled askew by the spring and damaging the paint.. No field repair possible so I removed the spring so at least the lid was not sprung and found a length of broomstick to hold it up. Thanks Fred.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ingenious tool. I recently adjusted (tightened my springs) by muscling them with ViseGrips. Your way looks considerably easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience, and proper way to install the springs!

Do you know if those springs will fit a Berlina as well?

Cheers
Joerg

Edit: found it on their shop, they should fit Berlinas :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are welcome. Now, after some daily use my thoughts on the new springs is very positive. They work very smooth, don't make any noise (the old ones made a slight "boing sound", and hold the boot lid completely open without a feeling of too much tension. A perfectly designed upgrade for our well designed cars.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
This is on my list too. I currently have a "vintage" broomstick that holds the boot open. Thanks for the photos showing your little trick to wrangling them into place

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Thanks Fred. Bought two sets. Not too costly but the shiping was outrageous. A quesiton - the vice grips are the pivot point but why is the spring puller aqttachment offset to the interior so much and not just straight down? This may become clear when I actually try to install them.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vice grip is only there to prevent the wood from popping out of the notch in the metal seam that is part of the body. Also I found that where the metal is joined tends bend without the grips. The reason the notch is so far inward is when the wood pivots downward it tilts toward the outside. I found its better to have some inward pull on the spring to make it easier for the base of the spring to lock into the notches

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is on the list for 67. I see that Alfaholics he’s a replacement for the “boot” springs also

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ones sold by Alfaholics and Classic are the original type - short and much harder to install and will stretch out over time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts