·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I am underway with my front end rebuilding to include:

1. New BMW 7 series 4-pot calipers
2. All new bushings
3. Replace brake lines

All the demo work is done and now I am ready to start swapping old for new.

My issue is on the brake lines. I am trying to replace the cracked rubber (flexible) hoses and I am having a hard time getting the fittings apart without starting to bend the lines.

Any secrets/tips/tricks? I guess I may need to replace the hard lines as well which is OK. Can't get the top of the flex hose off the bottom of the hard line leading in to the engine bay because of the hard mounting point on the inner wheel well.

Thanks, JP

·
Push hard and live
11,337 Posts
You might try tightening first. The corrosion can take an anti-loosen set. By slightly tightening sometimes you can break this free.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea! Thanks, Don!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I am trying to replace the cracked rubber (flexible) hoses and I am having a hard time getting the fittings apart without starting to bend the lines.

I'd try tightening the connection slightly too. Make sure that you have one wrench on the fitting at the top of the flex line and another wrench on the hollow nut on the hard line that you are trying to remove. The small nut in the middle of the other two just holds the flex line to the bracket.

The hollow nut on the driver's side of my car had been painted over covering the brake hard line and when I tried to remove it, the end of the hard brake line twisted off completely! Fear not, I was able to find a replacement hard brake line (with a fitting to the master cylinder) at 'AutoZone' and they even let me borrow a flaring tool (with a deposit) for the hollow nut end of the line.

Just a suggestion: Perhaps you can loosen the small nut in the middle (on the bracket), just a bit and then unscrew the fitting on the flexible brake line while holding the hollow nut on the hard brake line in place.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Mark. I will try and report out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PB Blaster?

Any reason not to try several soaks with PB Blaster? It has saved me with frozen fasteners on the Monty more than once.

--Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charlie,

Thanks...while I did not mention it, I started with a good PB soak and was still getting line twist.

JP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts