Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had put this project on the back burner because I had been working on some other projects, but I think I am finally about to complete this one.

Before this week is over I am going to take the glove box lock off and take it to a lock smith to see if they can cut a key, which I assume would work just fine on all of the other accessories except the ignition lock.

I have been looking at NOS ignition keys, looks like they are going at $100 per key blank!
Not sure if I will ever get one or not at that price for one key. But I still like the thought of it.
One question, I see these keys for sale on eBay that are NOS and they have a number given to them-

This one is a key blank #3, another I saw was #6. What do these numbers mean? I thought an original blank, was an original blank :oops:

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Usually a number like that is the series or profile of the key. If you'll notice the backside of the key from your post has a number 3. #8 would have a different profile.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My key experience. For my 67 Super keys, locks and handles were hard to find or too expensive for my budget. I went the locksmith route and was glad I did. First locksmith said he couldnt work on the old stuff but referred me to an old school locksmith nearby. I gave my door handle assembly to the locksmith. She asked what it was for. She knew what an Alfa Romeo was. Told her the year and model. She says, “OK, it will be $15-25 and will have it ready tomorrow.” It was, and worked perfectly. Even worked for my trunk lock. $25 charge included 2 keys that say Fiat on them. She also double cut the keys so they fit right side up or upside down. She included a tag with the cut numbers. So the next week, took her the ignition switch. She called the next day, said keys were ready. She told me that there was a 3 digit code stamped onto the back of the switch, but she needed a 4 digit code. So she added a zero and cut a new key! $15 for 2 keys. In my opinion, finding an old school locksmith is the key. Saved me $400-500 over new parts. Hope you can find someone similar. Dave. (Sgtpepper)

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have the glovebox lock off, I found a local lock smith who says he thinks he can do it. I am going to drop it off tomorrow and see what he comes up with.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the glovebox lock off, I found a local lock smith who says he thinks he can do it. I am going to drop it off tomorrow and see what he comes up with.
I don’t know if it applies to 105 cars, but on 101s the glove box lock has fewer tumblers than the door locks. A key cut to match the glovebox will not work on the doors.

Joe

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
My 105 has the same profile for the door and glovebox (#6), different for the ignition and trunk lock.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So just as a precaution I went ahead and took out the passenger door lock, thinking it would be the next easiest to pull off.
I got it off no problem, but the tumbler looks rusty. One of the locking pins is frozen in place, is this the end of the road or can it be re made by the lock smith? They closed today before I could make it, so I hope to take it tomorrow.

1582236838984.jpeg

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I would spray some PB Blaster on it and let it sit overnight. You should really have the key inserted in there, otherwise the pins can go flying, or at least pop out once the rust lets go. At the very least put some tape over the cylinder to keep everything in place.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I took both door handles and the glovebox lock to the lock smith on friday. He had them keyed and ready to go today!!
The glove box did NOT match the door, he said it was an entirely different code altogether.
Which makes me mildly suspicious that the trunk latch will have a different key. The lock smith was super easy to work with, he said he cleaned the mechanisms up the best he could. Turns out the guy went to high school with my dad and knew who I was, small world!

I hope to put them back on the car tonight!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Success! For the most part.
Door handles and glovebox are on and work well.

The trunk is a different subject. They door keys work, I put the key in and gave it a turn. The trunk still opened. I tried again. Same result.
No matter the key position the trunk would open. I took the trim piece off so I could see what is going on in the back side, heres a picture. I stopped for the night, I will do more investigating tomorrow. I suspect a PO has modified or broken the lock when they didnt have a key.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
What I really need is a spare/second ignition key. I can’t believe I have only had one key for the past 10 years, courting disaster. The idea behind getting a door key was just for completeness sake.
Any way it looks like the glove box cylinder does not have 5 tumblers. I think for now I will back burner the door key and just get a spare ignition key. Thanks everyone for your help.
Jim

View attachment 1608733

·
Registered
35 Posts
I obviously don't know how to use a computer but I saw the picture of the glovebox tumbler,it looks just like mine did. I took it to a ( relatively ) local locksmith. He took it over to a wall of keys he had hanging there and made a key for it which fit my doors and for the first time in the three years I owned the car I could lock the doors and glovebox. The trunk release has no tumbler as of yet. He also copied the ignition key, and now I have a spare. Ten bucks each. All told about ten minutes including his story about owning a spider himself years ago. I think you just need to find a locksmith that has been around for forty years or so. Maybe mail the key and or tumbler to the guy in Mesa AZ.Call first.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts